working lakelands

Guest MIKE1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good un ill get some pics soon. Hes 3yr old and ive dug 2 him 12 times when i was doing alot of terrier work 1 :yes:

12 digs ain't alot for a 3yr old mate.

some people have to work hard to find a fox the dog wouldnt hav started til at least a year old so you could say 12 digs at adult foxes in 2 years which isnt bad

I have a good un ill get some pics soon. Hes 3yr old and ive dug 2 him 12 times when i was doing alot of terrier work 1 :yes:

Quality beats Quantity everytime. One might put a dog to quarry 100 times but if they are bolts then you wouldn't compare that to a Digging type dog that only gets a couple dozen now would you? Anyone? :drink:

Besides that... maybe he has a Real Job which has priority in feeding his family, pays the bills etc.... just the fact that he works the dog when he could say "fek-it" and go for the ribbons instead says A Lot in itself. ;) These boards are nothing more than a place to share a bit of fun... none of us really Knows anything about others on these boards... let alone make Judgements based on their posts. jmo....

Quality beats Quantity everytime. One might put a dog to quarry 100 times but if they are bolts then you wouldn't compare that to a Digging type dog that only gets a couple dozen now would you? Anyone? :drink:

Besides that... maybe he has a Real Job which has priority in feeding his family, pays the bills etc.... just the fact that he works the dog when he could say "fek-it" and go for the ribbons instead says A Lot in itself. ;) These boards are nothing more than a place to share a bit of fun... none of us really Knows anything about others on these boards... let alone make Judgements based on their posts. jmo....

Disagree there ..How do you know how long or what the situation is ..So if a dog is working rock and its a big place and he stays then bolts after a long time does that make him just a bolting dog ? How do you describe a bolting dog ? if he is used in small places or even artificials and the stuff bolts straightaway doesnt stop him from being dug to in bigger places if he gets the chance .All scenarios have to be considered .Better to say the dog will stay till dug .No two places are the same no situation is the same IMO.Quarry hunted hard and only just gets to ground then has hounds marking hard pre ban is often harder to move than one than has been in all night and you quietly slip a dog in.Pre ban have known quarry to be stopped in two days before a dog was entered they dont like to bolt then and need another type of dog to move them .JMO. :D

hi all i have just been reading how hard it is to get good honest digging terriers it was a good little read. and i was wondering how many of you have got good lakelands that you dig to. any pic of your lakeland would be really nice this is my pride and joy i hope you like him he is a good digging dog

Hi .

These are two of my lakelands both breed by john cowen the dog is working well and the bitch only eight months nearly and had odd rat .

I have seven terriers but these lakelands have a mind of there own if they dont want to listen they dont .

kipo

post-10362-1199383582_thumb.jpg

post-10362-1199384037_thumb.jpg

post-10362-1199384103_thumb.jpg

Disagree there ..How do you know how long or what the situation is ..So if a dog is working rock and its a big place and he stays then bolts after a long time does that make him just a bolting dog ? How do you describe a bolting dog ? if he is used in small places or even artificials and the stuff bolts straightaway doesnt stop him from being dug to in bigger places if he gets the chance .All scenarios have to be considered .Better to say the dog will stay till dug .No two places are the same no situation is the same IMO.Quarry hunted hard and only just gets to ground then has hounds marking hard pre ban is often harder to move than one than has been in all night and you quietly slip a dog in.Pre ban have known quarry to be stopped in two days before a dog was entered they dont like to bolt then and need another type of dog to move them .JMO. :D

I agree completely... you just took it a few steps further. You can't tell what a dog is Really like just based on posts. Cripes it takes me 5 minutes just to type this little bit of a reply to you Donny. :yes::laugh: Even the quarry can and often is different from one area to another. :yes:

Guest proudy

Bollocks, if digging means that much to you, make time. I work 5 1/2 days a week so its mainly sundays when I get out but I try to take my holidays in the winter. I have alot of blanks days but if you keep putting the graft in & checking you'll get them. It helps if you don't limit your earthwork :whistling: . I wouldn't compare bolting to digging cos it ain't the same. I started my terrier at 11months & it was a new earth to me. 5ft of hard digging which took 4 of us 2 1/2 hrs to dig. Not what I wanted for his 1st dig but he done well. I dug to him 11 times that season with 1 bolt. Gave him an easy 1st dig the following season to get him back into the swing of things but then started on the bigger places that take a few hours.He's now 4yrs & I'm looking to get a pup from him in the summer if I can find the right bitch. Make plenty of noise when on the earth & leave the lurchers loose. We don't get many bolting. The only reasons I would expect a dog to only complete 12 digs in 2 seasons are that the dog is too hard & spends more time recuperating in kennels, the seasons work has to be shared between too many terriers or the owner lives in area where foxes or earths are scarce.

Bollocks, if digging means that much to you, make time. I work 5 1/2 days a week so its mainly sundays when I get out but I try to take my holidays in the winter. I have alot of blanks days but if you keep putting the graft in & checking you'll get them. It helps if you don't limit your earthwork :whistling: . I wouldn't compare bolting to digging cos it ain't the same. I started my terrier at 11months & it was a new earth to me. 5ft of hard digging which took 4 of us 2 1/2 hrs to dig. Not what I wanted for his 1st dig but he done well. I dug to him 11 times that season with 1 bolt. Gave him an easy 1st dig the following season to get him back into the swing of things but then started on the bigger places that take a few hours.He's now 4yrs & I'm looking to get a pup from him in the summer if I can find the right bitch. Make plenty of noise when on the earth & leave the lurchers loose. We don't get many bolting. The only reasons I would expect a dog to only complete 12 digs in 2 seasons are that the dog is too hard & spends more time recuperating in kennels, the seasons work has to be shared between too many terriers or the owner lives in area where foxes or earths are scarce.

Well I didn't see where the guy said 12 times in 2 seasons... maybe I missed that... or you read something into what he posted. Maybe the dog wasn't started til he was 2 years? I don't know... do you? OR maybe he started at a year old and worked 12 times then the lad had to change jobs or living situations... moved... maybe had a child born or something with Real Priority consuming his time? I didn't see his post saying much other than the dog worked 12 times since he's owned it. Perhaps you're a claravoyant eh? ;):D Its EZ to judge someone isn't it... and their dogs from behind a keyboard eh?

I think its funny how many people act as if they are the type of terrierman that they work their dogs day in and day out.... yet they are on the computer as much as myself and others. :hmm::laugh: Any of the Real terrierman don't have "time" to be on these boards, do they? I don't try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes... I hunt my terriers strictly as a hobby... as time allows. The wee dogs are Not my priority in life... they exist to serve me, not the other way around. And I enjoy them for who they are and what they do. Now then Proudy... I didn't mean to slag you but I think you jumped to conclusions without knowing the lads situation and judged him unnecessarily without knowing Any of the facts since he did not post any other than to say the dog is 3 years old and was worked 12 times. Sorry if my post offends you but I'm sure I'm not far from the truth when doing the math. In any case Proudy, I'm sure your dogs make you proud and thats all You can ask isn't it? Allowing others to be proud of their dogs isn't too difficult really if you let them.

Edited by DeanD