Hogan DecimEater Differences

15 minutes ago, Meece said:

That's a shame. And the mag write up was so good. You don't mean to say that items reviewed by magazines are hyped up. Gee, and most of the time I  don't even bother to put the silencer on. Still the Charlie on the receiving end doesn't hear the bullet that I  send.  I tend to use a silencer on my 22lr even though the noise I'mpact of the bullet on the rabbit is greater than any gun  noise.

The specific wildlife that the bullet from the moderated rifle may hit is never the reason for fitting a moderator!     Even on sub sonic ammo the infinitesimal time the sound may reach the quarry before the bullet hits will not give it time to react!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

23 hours ago, andykllhr said:

The reason why you can fit a .22 moderator to a .17, is because the bullet is smaller. Try (or rather don't!) fitting a .22 moderator to a .243 or .308.  .22 uses a .223 diameter bullet. With a larger calibre, where the bullet exceeds .223, there's a point where you'd be shooting the moderator because the hole down the centre wouldn't be large enough to let the bullet past. At the very least you'll destroy the moderator. In the worse case scenario, you could cause damage to your gun or even yourself.

As Deker says, Moderators are calibre specific with the proviso, that you can often fit a moderator for a larger calibre on a smaller calibre. It will be inefficient though as a lot of gas and sound will simply come down that larger aperture around the bullet. (This may also serve to help release any extra pressure).

As for proofing that's a whole other issue and is going to come down to the pressure generated and the pressure the moderator is designed for / or can cope with (if not designed for rimfire use). The pressure from a 12ftlbs air rifle vs a rimfire is most likely going to be much less (otherwise the air rifle would be up there for energy with the rimfire) which means whether or not a moderator can stand the additional pressure is going to be luck. If you know for definite from the manufacturer 2 mods are the same mod just assigned to different types of guns then they may be safe. However, I would suggest just taking pot luck is somewhat risky.

Edited by Alsone
52 minutes ago, Alsone said:

The reason why you can fit a .22 moderator to a .17, is because the bullet is smaller. Try (or rather don't!) fitting a .22 moderator to a .243 or .308.  .22 uses a .223 diameter bullet. With a larger calibre, where the bullet exceeds .223, there's a point where you'd be shooting the moderator because the hole down the centre wouldn't be large enough to let the bullet past. At the very least you'll destroy the moderator. In the worse case scenario, you could cause damage to your gun or even yourself.

As Deker says, Moderators are calibre specific with the proviso, that you can often fit a moderator for a larger calibre on a smaller calibre. It will be inefficient though as a lot of gas and sound will simply come down that larger aperture around the bullet. (This may also serve to help release any extra pressure).

As for proofing that's a whole other issue and is going to come down to the pressure generated and the pressure the moderator is designed for / or can cope with (if not designed for rimfire use). The pressure from a 12ftlbs air rifle vs a rimfire is most likely going to be much less (otherwise the air rifle would be up there for energy with the rimfire) which means whether or not a moderator can stand the additional pressure is going to be luck. If you know for definite from the manufacturer 2 mods are the same mod just assigned to different types of guns then they may be safe. However, I would suggest just taking pot luck is somewhat risky.

That's why I put the link up, showing Meece that moderators ARE calibre specific, that mod is what I'll be putting on my .17 HMR. From the info I can find, there is no difference between the rimfire and non-rimfire decimeaters, just that one has been to the proofing house.

• Like 1

i brought a rifle that came with said moderator.

I always have used it on fac air and 22lr for years with no internal problems.

mine has steel baffles not sure if its for air or rimfire.

anyway

i moded the mod buy removing material and putting my own material inside and also put my own metal to hold material between the baffles.

its now even quieter than it was before on both fac air and 22lr and not caught fire in 2 years

i had a marksman air rifle mod which is very quiet on fac air. maker said he would use it on 22lr, but it was not specked for that. so i did with no problems for years. 

Edited by riflehunter583
9 hours ago, riflehunter583 said:

i brought a rifle that came with said moderator.

I always have used it on fac air and 22lr for years with no internal problems.

mine has steel baffles not sure if its for air or rimfire.

anyway

i moded the mod buy removing material and putting my own material inside and also put my own metal to hold material between the baffles.

its now even quieter than it was before on both fac air and 22lr and not caught fire in 2 years

i had a marksman air rifle mod which is very quiet on fac air. maker said he would use it on 22lr, but it was not specked for that. so i did with no problems for years. 

Thanks mate, yeah, the decimeater seems to be just fine, I don't think it's going to catch fire any time soon, but time will tell. I think plenty of people out there use air rifle mods on their .22LRs with no ill effect, the joyous thing about the decimeater is that when it does eventually fail to function, I can pick another one up inexpensively

• Like 1
7 hours ago, andykllhr said:

Thanks mate, yeah, the decimeater seems to be just fine, I don't think it's going to catch fire any time soon, but time will tell. I think plenty of people out there use air rifle mods on their .22LRs with no ill effect, the joyous thing about the decimeater is that when it does eventually fail to function, I can pick another one up inexpensively

There are very few rimfire, and no centrefire mods I am aware of that contain felt/acoustic wadding.  Whilst setting the stuff alight can never be discounted (it is all but impossible generally), the pressures generated dislodge the material over time and you may well notice the bullet channel through the mod starts looking wooly. This of course can have an effect on bullet path.  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So, Decimeater was great, however, I was paranoid about using a non-proofed mod, so I took my SAK back to gun shop and did a straight swap for a Swift Stumpy. Looks the business but have yet to try it out yet, by all accounts they are better than the SAK.

If it performs well then this should be the last mod I'll need for this rifle ?

IMG_20180824_161116.jpg