The other great thing about our military is that the craic is savage, not everyone is a f***ing sissy about everything.......you can make a joke about absolutely howling things and nobody is getting all het up about it, which imho is British gallows humour at its finest and very much part of our nations male character.

• Like 5

Went for a bite to eat yesterday up Durham City.

There was also a motorbike rally on with custom bike show ect.

Anyways I bumped into two old neighbours with there son who joined the Para's maybe 3 years ago.

The lad was always in good shape but by feck I got the shock of my life yesterday.

He was in very good condition ' Smileing and a confident air about him.

On 03/06/2018 at 01:20, WILF said:

I have heard varying reports about “H” Jones, some saying he was a hero and others a f***ing liability putting blokes in needless danger.

My old man was in the marines just after the 2nd world war finished, and he told me of his captain. The guy was from a military family that went back hundreds of years and the old man always said he thanked God they never saw action because the guy was "mad as a f***ing hatter" and would happily have got them all killed if it gave him the chance to be a hero. We seem to have had more of that type of soldier than most over the years but I doubt there will be so many in the future the way the countrys going.

I had a mate who served in the Royal Marines at that time. He told me that they had a joke/saying prior to the Falkland War:

What’s the most dangerous man in the world?  A sailor with a rifle.

Post Falkland:

Whats the most dangerous man in the world? An officer with a map.