A great trap whether it's used inside or out, I've caught large numbers of squirrels and only ever had one foul catch BUT for that price surely they can make it sit up straight without any assistance!

Does this annoy anyone else or am I just a fussy ****

I bought another two the other day and I'm sure they're getting worse. Don't they know what square means in Canada. Don't they know that they need to be stable to catch.

So the question is how do you modify yours or do you just find something in the loft to prop them up?

Has anyone ever told them to get it sorted or are we just supposed to put up with shoddy goods?

Me? I have some rubber tubing which fits over that metal bar on the spring bracket cut to size to act as a stabilizer leg.

Hi ZZW yes mate must agree with you great trap! but sorry ;do not think that they are out of square as such! every thing in the factory has to be aliegned up (jigs/ fixtures/etc) to within .001 m/m to aid production but I have always thought that the wieght distributation has been lop sided to the right hand side as you look at the trap! I see that you are trapping in peoples loft;s have you tried placing a piece of marine ply across the rafters to help staberlize the trap? (not trying to teaching my gran to suck eggs) if it still tilts try a bun gee~cord? also you have not had to brake hard in the van lately ? and knocked something out of kilter? best regards Steve

Steve, I think what ZZW is experiencing is the 'lean' that the Kania has towards the heavier spring side. I have no experience in using Kania traps at all, but I do have a couple of the early types in my collection and they do not sit flat - they tip towards the spring side at the first opportunity.

Maybe some experienced users of the Kania could help you out on this one? I would be interested in what they have to say as well.

OTC

I don't have any problems levelling them in lofts. As I say I modify them but my point is, at that price should I have to. Do you mean to tell me as they come off the production line mr QA hasn't noticed they all fall over. With the old ones it was just the weight of the spring but now if you force them level they wont even sit flat their own base because they don't seem to be square.

Steve I think they got the decimal point in the wrong place on my last ones. I don't know about .001 mm, more like 10.00 mm

Edited by zig zag wanderer

screw it to a bit of board a little bit longer than the trap, then drill a hole at the top and bottom of the board. of course its handy to have a cordless with you.

then you can screw it in place on trees fences or whatever.

other than that like you a wedge it in place in trees ect . i also have in my trapping kit that thin green wire you get from garden centres.

i thread this through the trap and hold in place with this somtimes. hope thios helps TOMO :)

Yes...........i use a lot of Kania's for squirrel control and also good for mink if otters and voles aren't about.

i bolt all of mine on to boards sightly wider than the trap and about 3ft 6in long...then have holes top and bottom of the board so i can hang them on a favourite tree. i have lots of trees with nails already fixed so i move the traps around as required. Spray the trap and board a green/brown colour and they become hard to spot on the trees.

i also fix a sheet of wire mesh just under the bottom of the trap on to the board...to enable the squirrels to enter with ease. also i fix two nails either side of the bottom of the board when its fixed to the tree so i can stretch a bungy cord across to hold the whole thing steady.

hope this has been of some help.

Rolfe.

I agree with every word of that CW. What frustrates me is that it is so easy to correct. Lengthen that round bar on the spring bracket by about a quarter of an inch so that it acts as a leg and job done.

As can be seen from your Kania, with the bar on the ground the opposite corner is up in the air by about a quarter of an inch. As the squirrel puts some weight on the trap it will rock.

Edited by zig zag wanderer

Hi ZZW I have found thier web site type in WWW.KANIA.NET and maybe e~mail them with your idea? you never know they might change the design hope this has been of some help to you. I know what you mean you spend £40 you expect a Rolls~Royce trap!!! but I rate the Kania very highly best regards Steve

Steve, I know I've just spent a lot of air criticising the Kania but I still rate it and use it constantly. It's the best squirrel trap as far as I'm concerned. Call me a perfectionist but I couldn't produce such a well designed trap that shoddily. A trap that rocks when the target pest enters is unacceptable especially when it's so simple to correct. Once propped up it's deadly.

I wont bother to complain because if they haven't noticed the fault and corrected it by now then I don't think an e-mail will have much affect.

I love those old Kanias OTC. Are the new ones better or are there some nice features in those old antiques you wish they'd kept?

The restricted entrance looks safer for non-targets and that trigger plate looks neat too.

As I said earlier in this post I have no experience in using Kania traps, I just collect them. They have certainly moved on from the early prototypes like this one . . .

Unknownkiller003.jpg

OTC