Trapping fussy greys

The 2007 variation on the Spring Trap Approvals order (LINK) states

'The trap must be set in a natural or artificial tunnel which is suitable for minimising the chances of injuring or killing non-target species whilst not compromising the capture and killing of target species'

when referreing to Solway mk4 and 6 traps. Now I can't find an online copy of the 1995 order which covers Fenns by name, but they are broadly the same I believe.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The trap must be set in a natural or artificial tunnel which is suitable for minimising the chances of injuring or killing non-target species whilst not compromising the capture and killing of target species'

when referreing to Solway mk4 and 6 traps. Now I can't find an online copy of the 1995 order which covers Fenns by name, but they are broadly the same I believe.

so is that right john a bucket covered is an artificial

look, simple fact, there is no clause in the law that that spciefically states that the fenn to be legal has to be sett in tunnels. You wouldnt use this method, i do, its effective, covered and is not threatening to non-target species! If there is a law that says you are not allowed to use a fenn trap in anything other than a tunnel than i will stop using it! untill then....... :tongue2:

Regards

Aaron

Well that's where lawyers make their money :big_boss:

My opinion is that so long as the trap was covered, so that access was reasonably limited to the size and habit of the intended quarry you would be fine. For the purpose of this 'law' a tunnel can be any covered space with restricted access.

Dictionary defn of tunnel includes: A passage through or under a barrier.

But don't quote me if it goes to court :laugh:

edited to add: The law doesn't appear to give any heed to foul catches or otherwise.

Edited by john b

Well that's where lawyers make their money :big_boss:

My opinion is that so long as the trap was covered, so that access was reasonably limited to the size and habit of the intended quarry you would be fine. For the purpose of this 'law' a tunnel can be any covered space with restricted access.

Dictionary defn of tunnel includes: A passage through or under a barrier.

But don't quote me if it goes to court :laugh:

thank you john :thumbs::laugh:
There you have it, there is no reason for this to be illegal! so thats settled!!?? :yes:

I don't feel it's settled. A bucket is very difficult to envisage as a tunnel. I however feel that at this juncture, it is pointless to pursue it further. The bucket seems to kill effectively, and I'm happy with that. I was just concerned that the law was being broken. On an open site I felt it was risky to discuss it, as there are people who would like to stop us trapping. I however bow to the moderator, and concede that I may be wrong. In fact I hope I'm wrong. Happy trapping guys.

Edited by ianrob
There you have it, there is no reason for this to be illegal! so thats settled!!?? :yes:

I don't feel it's settled. A bucket is very difficult to envisage as a tunnel. I however feel that at this junture, it is pointless to pursue it further. The bucket seems to kill effectively, and I'm happy with that. I was just concerned that the law was being broken. On an open site I felt it was risky to discuss it, as there are people who would like to stop us trapping. I however bow to the moderator, and concede that I may be wrong. In fact I hope I'm wrong. Happy trapping guys.

same to you mate :thumbs:

I don't feel it's settled. A bucket is very difficult to envisage as a tunnel. I however feel that at this junture, it is pointless to pursue it further. The bucket seems to kill effectively, and I'm happy with that. I was just concerned that the law was being broken. On an open site I felt it was risky to discuss it, as there are people who would like to stop us trapping. I however bow to the moderator, and concede that I may be wrong. In fact I hope I'm wrong. Happy trapping guys.

Unfortunately, like many aspects of the law, it is open to interpretation which then gets hammered out in case law.

"DITTO" hypothetical scenario ( I think i;ve spelt it correctly?) Fenn trap in bucket with lid on ; hole cut in lid ! customer/clients greyhound/lurcher puts foot in said bucket ;broken leg caused by Fenn trap/large vets bill ; I hope you have got good 3rd liabililty insurance AARON you obviously have not done your risk assessment properly!!! STEVE

If you read back a few posts then i said it may be wasnt the best option to stick in a clients garden etc, Whats with the dog sticking his nose in a tunnel? which i think is a bit more likely than a dog standing on a 5kg tub and geting his paw stuck in a hole about 2.5 inches wide! HOPE YOUVE GOT GOOD 3RD PARTY COVER!! Glad you have lots of spare time to fill out risk assesment!!

No type of tunnel is going to completely stop non target species being caught. Take the mink raft for example, during testing they caught a variety of non target species including mallard.

From experience i know that tunnels are not fool proof, ive opened them up to find fox hair in the trap where charlie has been a bit to inquisitive. A pet dog with very little fear in his own surroundings isn't going to be fazed by human scent like a fox would. I personally wouldn't risk setting either in that environment. Stick to cage traps there.

Aaron you must have had a good laugh at that lot. :clapper: I wish I had a £ for every time a MK4 has had my fingers no broken bones yet though. :bye: :bye:

Good hunting All :drink: :drink: