Had a mate out ..

Had a mate out for a day on the fallow , he had a hour and half drive arriving at mine for six thirty , a quick coffee and 15 min drive see us over my perm at seven ..with a sharp easterly wind we only really had one choice of action , in the gate turn sharp right and follow the road right to the bottom , park up and work into the wind through the bottom wood ...as we came in the headlights cast over the top fields , parkland more than actual fields , sixty or seventy deer were out feeding in almost one long line across the very top of the field , with absolutely no chance of getting on them when it was light we carried on down to park a hundred metres away from the wood to our left ..

By light we started our our way through the wood , I went top track almost on the field edge , my pal took the middle track ,.i was only going to shoot the fields to my left my mate was shooting to his right .my intention was anything in the wood or field would drop down the very steep bank to him ..having both done this several times before we set off ...twenty minutes in as I glassed two fields in front of me I could see another big bunch of deer leaving the field and going downhill towards the middle track ..I stopped for nearly twenty minutes till the whole bunch had gone , my pal would be way in front of me but hopefully somewhere close to the deer ...a couple of minutes after I started forward a single shot ...we met up half an hour later on the middle road , in the cold wind he was sweating like a pig having dragged a beast two hundred yards across the steep bank ..the deer passed by him at thirty metres , able to pick his target off sticks and resting against a tree the 70 gr 243 was devastating..

We decided to check out a small square of land that juts out from our river boundary that used to be an excellent holding area when cold but since the estate did a major Felling operation on the birch it’s now become a cold spot itself and seldom used by the deer ..we pushed on across the bridge and up the bank to peer over the top to find about fifteen deer in a small patch of oaks to our left about two hundred metres away ..between them and us was a stack of timber twenty yards long and about six foot high that if I worked further to my right then keep low I could use to get across and into a clear sight line ..fifteen minutes later I was resting on the log pile waiting for a limping pricket to present a clear shot "..five minutes later he did ...one more was added in the evening by my guest ..three more for the cull  ..in the chiller at 64lb , 66lb &71lb 

A64CAA2B-19DF-4452-8E7E-0CC1CB2BAB83.jpeg

• Like 6