Zeroing a Scope

Hi All,

Well what it is my Parents bought me my 5th Air Rifle for xmas, and i opened it today and was told the guy who ows the gun shop had zeroed it, well if he had i could of easily hit 20 rabbits today in our fields,but he hasnt sooo...I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advise/tips on zeroing a scope please.

Like i said it is my 5th air rifle but believe it or not i have never zeroed a scope :icon_redface: either my dad usually does it for me or a freind but my dad had a look at this one for a split second today before he went to do the milking, so just thought i would give it ago myself, but as my dad will be milking again tomorrow morning i wont see him till 10ish and i wanted to get out pretty early tomorrow for a little wonder around the fields.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Ben :drink:

all depends on your quarry....................

myself i mainly shoot rats, occasionally i get asked to cull a few ferals, so i re-zero for them...

rats - i zero at 15-20yrds max, i lamp them so i manage to get close.

is yours a springer or pcp....????

mines a pcp falcon so i pace out 20yrds, set 3 targets, small med large, then at 10 yrds 3 more, same again S, M, L.

start at the large see where your grouping is with say 5 straight shots. i tend to use the dustbin to lean on. then adjust if required untill the grouping is good and centered. when your happy try the medium, then small..

basically you need to know where your shooting is.

try a few at 10 yrds, see whats occuring...

after 4 mags i has to refill......... 8 shots per mag.

then try freestanding....... its all experience that gets the kills, not luck.

good luck.

Edited by donky7

I'd agree with Donkey and Millet with minor differences/additions...

I tend to fire only 3 shot groups and then rest/check target. Strange though it may sound zeroing is VERY exhausting, mentally and physically. You should be able to bring it in with just a few shots BUT, if you get up to 15-20 shots and are not quite there GIVE UP and continue the next day.

You need serious support or be prone, but preferably both to zero!

Check your pressures first if PCP and check scope, moderator ets is firmly attached before shooting.

Also zero with the same pellets you intend to use in the field.

When you say you have never done this ...have you not watched your Dad etc do it, do you know how to adjust the scope??? You should check your Zero several times a year (wether you think it needs it or not), especially if you are using it on live quarry.

Probably a few other things I've forgotten.

Cheers

Deker

Edited by Deker
If it's a .177 set them at 35yrd's if it's a .22 .. 25yrd's.. and the best thing to do if you are unsure about stability is stick the gun in a black&decker workmate..

Keep adjusting the scope's till you can hit a new five pence piece with 10 shot's .. but remember they must be no wind while setting the scope's..piece of piss really.. :tongue2: ..

Millet

Springers no good clamped down for zeroing as you know they are held differently to a PC when shooting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:gunsmilie: Just a tip from a ex professioal nz deer culler if you are going to zero a high powered rifle scope , make sure all screws are tight on the scope mounts then get some nail polish from your wife/ girlfriend and dab it on the theads to help lock them in place so they dont work loose after you have fired a few shots