Starlings.

Was at a farm near Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago and I have never seen so many Starlings in all my life. There were literally thousands of them in and around the barns. They were shitting on everything and in the calf feeders with not a care in the world. Farmer said there's no point it doing anything as there are so many of them. Any way, today I was talking to a bloke and he says ''Use a green laser''. Green laser?, ''Yeah. Starlings f****n' hate 'um. Farmer I know had the same problem and he got a green laser and pointed it at one of them glitter balls and they won't go near the place''. Don't know if this actually works. Just wondering has any one else ever heard of green lasers scarring birds off?.

Google "Agrilaser", I use the hand held one for scaring gulls from nest sites in the summer, have also used it to flush feral pigeons from inside warehouses, was very dubious about spending out on it to start with but it works a treat on gulls and pigeons, with the gulls they have a vested interest in the nest sites and are soon back but I can't see why starlings shouldn't be properly scared as they would just be feeding. I'm not too far from you if you wanted to try it, give me a shout.

• Like 4

Local water company had put solar panels on a reservoir but were still getting Canada geese on amongst other birds, but the Canada’s were causing the most nuisance, so they installed lasers. The farm next door to the reservoir has a small pond which I flight on now and then, nothing serious I just take the odd duck. The farmer phoned me a few weeks ago saying there must be 60 geese on the pond during the night. I went up one evening with a lamp and noticed mallards paddling in a small puddle in the field. It looked strange. Then I reached the pond and it was jammed packed full of geese, there wasn’t an inch to spare. So from being moved off the reservoir, they’ve taken up residency on the pond and booted the mallard off! Needless to say, they get moved on regularly and I always take several off when I visit!