Urinary Tract Infections

My bitch (7 and a half year old APBT) has been plagued with them lately, over the last year she's been on four courses of antibiotics and that always clears them up but they always seem to come back after a few months. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on anything that can be done to help keep them at bay? Cranberry concentrate has been recommended and I'll be giving that a go now but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Took my old spaniel  as i thought she had , had a stroke  i said shes got 11 lumps and bumps they reckons shes got less as there merging and thought it was a urinary infection  that was giving  her the problems and took her away and checked her out with a camera and said shes clear but gave me some tablets  and shes picked up but hinted bring her back and it time to put her to sleep . would it be worth giving her cranberry juice as well  ?. 

• 1 month later...

Totally forgot I posted this thread!

In the month since I posted it she's been on the cranberry concentrate pills and she hasn't had another infection (touch wood!) and seems generally better in herself, no idea if that's down to the cranberry or because the last course of antibiotics was longer and a stronger type of antiobiotic but so far so good and I'll be continuing with the cranberry because I can't see any harm in it and they may well be what's put a stop to the infections.

On 14/12/2017 at 16:43, sandymere said:

Increase fluid intake. Consider continuous prophylactic treatment dose for up to 6 months. Consider possible underlying causes.

She's had all manner of scans and tests and the vet is confident there's no physical problem causing them like stones etc that's what had us so stumped! Vet had said if the last course didn't do the trick he'd recommended a longer prophylactic course :thumbs:

On 15/12/2017 at 19:05, foxdropper said:

Is she fed dry food mate 

She is on dry food but with plenty of fresh meat too and always has free access to fresh water, do you think that could still be something to do with it? Wouldn't be against switching her over to a straight raw diet if the infections come back again.

On 14/12/2017 at 16:57, The one said:

Took my old spaniel  as i thought she had , had a stroke  i said shes got 11 lumps and bumps they reckons shes got less as there merging and thought it was a urinary infection  that was giving  her the problems and took her away and checked her out with a camera and said shes clear but gave me some tablets  and shes picked up but hinted bring her back and it time to put her to sleep . would it be worth giving her cranberry juice as well  ?. 

If it was only the one infection there's probably no need and with other things going on with her too I wouldn't like to suggest adding an unknown into the mix. That said they have seemed to do the trick for my bitch, I just got cranberry concentrate tablets from Holland & Barrett and gave her half the dose recommend for humans.

My dogs get raw but the old spanniel can be picky  a cup ful of dry scalded with gravy and a couple of spoonfuls of meat threw it and she will pick away at it stand and watch and she walks away from it  . leave her alone and she takes ages to eat three times  as long as the other dogs 

21 hours ago, sandymere said:

Likely the longer course of antibiotics did the trick.:thumbs:

little background on the cranberry.

https://www.sciencealert.com/you-need-to-stop-trying-to-treat-your-uti-with-cranberry-juice

I had a feeling you'd have something to say about the cranberry supplements :D

I've read quite a few articles and studies and it does seem the consensus is it has little or no effect but at the moment I'm loath to change anything up while things are going well! When this bottle of tablets runs out I probably won't get more though and see how she goes :thumbs: