Got a lake i fish quite often and they have a little rat problem whats the best way to get rid of them.

Also is there a way of baiting them up and shooting them.

All comments most appreciated.

Cheers AG

i did a fishery a couple seasons back for a friend of mine they had rats were coming from surrounding fields around the holding areas where thefish were kept there were good runs leading to the location , so i just snared them with the hazel benders , until all the runs went dead , caught quite a good lot , it seemed to do the trick, but all locations are not the same ,
Guest Ditch_Shitter
Got a lake i fish quite often and they have a little rat problem whats the best way to get rid of them.

:unsure: Ye not really giving us a lot to go on there, mate. But I doubt ye'll ever personally manage to erradicate them.

Anyway, rats are part of the natural and expected fauna of such a place. If I were you, I'd just get proper permission and enjoy the sport they offer.

:unsure: Ye not really giving us a lot to go on there, mate. But I doubt ye'll ever personally manage to erradicate them.

Anyway, rats are part of the natural and expected fauna of such a place. If I were you, I'd just get proper permission and enjoy the sport they offer.

The farmer that owns the lake said that i would never be able to get rid of them all,

but just to keep the numbers down a little bit if you know what i mean Ditch.

Would just like to state that the 5 lakes are on a farm sxo that will also attract the rats.

Any tips on shooting rats would be brillant and most appreciated like what time day or night,

attracting them etc.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

The hour before dark is the best time to catch rats at it, mate. Summer and winter alike. Next hour's busy too. But then ye'd need lights and so forth, and that sort of thing's a bit beyond me as I've never gone after them that way. I'm aluding to Air Rifles here, obviously.

The idea of " Baiting " them, as in feeding them at a favourable spot, is ok as far as it goes. Only thing is, ye'll actually end up feeding and thus sustaining many more than ye get to removing by that method.

Pointless getting into a discussion about how a Pro' would go about erradication. Aside from anything else, that'd cost ye serious money to instigate and ye'd need to Really know what ye were about. Not your aim anyway.

Cage traps certainly take rats. I've personally always favoured the " Monarch " design for soaking up the youngsters. 5/8ths " meshed, sprung doored treadle traps for individual adults. But, again, there's expense.

Fenn's, if ye have any, can be used, of course. Not forgetting the good old, traditional Snappers. Trick there being to shield them from other wildlife (like Blackbirds) and casual interference by people.

In fact, when ye really sit and weigh up all the little niggles of the above, short of a creep about with the air rifle before dark settles; Snareman's method really covers all the bases ye require, doesn't it? Cost effective. Not likely to impinge on other wild life. Exciting sport and should, with practice, have ye knocking off more rats for less personal expenditure.

Cheers AG

i did a fishery a couple seasons back for a friend of mine they had rats were coming from surrounding fields around the holding areas where thefish were kept there were good runs leading to the location , so i just snared them with the hazel benders , until all the runs went dead , caught quite a good lot , it seemed to do the trick, but all locations are not the same ,

like snareman say's try snaring them with benders, once you master the art you will be more hooked on that than the fishing, :D you will find all the info at the top of the page in the pinned secton. :thumbs:

Cheers AG

like snareman say's try snaring them with benders, once you master the art you will be more hooked on that than the fishing, :D you will find all the info at the top of the page in the pinned secton. :thumbs:

AIRGUNNER

Listen to Snareman and DS on this one!!!

Edited by Deker