Magyar Agar / Hungarian " Greyhound "

Hi all

I've been reading post after post, trying to learn as much as I can about the dogs and techniques used for hunting ( I find it to be incredible sport and tradition, sadly non existant where I live, only gun-dogs and some terriers here...) I was wondering why there is so little information about the Magyar Agar or why nobody is running them ?

I understand they are somewhat slower due to their stronger, more robust build (less vet trips ?), but surely the thicker skin and possibility to grow an undercoat in winter as well as their more developed jaw muscles (older type agar ) and good feet/paws would make a welcome adition to any hunters kennel ( that and the apparently higher guarding instinct and trainability) ?

Or would a decent bull X tick all these boxes too ?

Again, I am new to all this so this might just be a stupid question...

ATB

Achilles

What quarry and what type of hunting would you be doing with this type of dog?

And though I'll have to start getting my flak jacket on as I'm writing this, ALOT of bull x's that I've seen have been straightlined for speed by practically everything they've been ran at, just straight bull/greys I mean, not deer/grey x bull/grey etc :ninja::laugh::thumbs:

And though I'll have to start getting my flak jacket on as I'm writing this, ALOT of bull x's that I've seen have been straightlined for speed by practically everything they've been ran at, just straight bull/greys I mean, not deer/grey x bull/grey etc :ninja::laugh::thumbs:

I won't be running the dog on anything or buying one yet for that matter, I was just wondering why you don't see these more often on here... :hmm: I understand that they are/ were being used to course hare, dispatch deer, running alongside the hunters on a horse... a smaller version used to exist, owned by farmers known simply as " hare catchers"...

ATB

I won't be running the dog on anything or buying one yet for that matter, I was just wondering why you don't see these more often on here... :hmm: I understand that they are/ were being used to course hare, dispatch deer, running alongside the hunters on a horse... a smaller version used to exist, owned by farmers known simply as " hare catchers"...

ATB

:thumbs:

There are tons of greyhound variations from rampur hounds to polish greyhounds, perhaps they might swing more in the fold of older greyhound types we once produced here in the uk before track racing took over and pure speed became paramount, who knows?. But I wouldn't take the time searching earth for a maybe good greyhound substitute, you would only want to cross it with something else anyway. Whippets and greys = speed and you throw it over something else to get what you desire e.g brains,brawn, stamina etc

• Like 3