Sign in to follow this  
Sakoen75

Drilling (Combination Gun) Legal?

Hi, I'm in the planning for a hunting trip to Scotland in the future. And the plan was to use my drilling since I'm planning to hunt walked up game/rough shooting and deer stalking/hunting. My problem is that I was told that my drilling is not legal to use in Scotland. The drilling has two s/s 20ga shotgun barrels and one rifle barrel in 7x57R

I'm not a UK citizen. I'm from Norway and I have a gun license for the gun since we need that for every gun in Norway. Guess I need to ask another hunting agency and ask them.

This is a handy link https://basc.org.uk/firearms/visiting-the-uk-to-shoot/

You will need a UK Visitors Firearms pass for a drilling and more than likely an EU Firearms Pass from the Norwegian authorities.

The drilling's rifle calibre of 7x57 is legal for all deer in the UK but the shotgun element of the drilling could not be used in any circumstances for deer (perhaps of course humane despatch of a wounded beast).

Perfectly legal as long as the ammunition you are using in the 7x57R produces a muzzle velocity of more than 750 m/s with a bullet that weighs more than 6.5 grammes.

The use of slug or buckshot in the shotgun barrel is illegal for deer, practically speaking in your circumstances in any event.

As long as you have the right paperwork, you are legal.

Whether the gentleman you are the guest of would prefer you to use something else is another matter, perhaps he's worried about an inadvertently loaded rifle chamber whilst shooting birds or something.

Best to ask him.

First of all, sorry for the late reply from me.

Looks like I'm going to contact another hunting agency to see if they allow me to use my gun. I usually use a Norma Oryx 10.1g/156gr bullet @ ~790m/s so it should be legal then. And stick to the shotgun barrels for birds, fox and rabbits when the chance is there. Enjoy your holiday and stay safe out there.