To Ground For First Time, Not A Puppy Place.

I got a pup and bloke said parents only work above ground, I didn't care because he was more for a family pet and just mooching about with the lurcher. anyway out with a mate the other day and we'd checked a bit no sign next min dog ran through a hedge and started messing about in a earth I don't think suitable for a first time didn't know what to do. I always put his collar on just incase and he was moving about a lot when i first checked it he was over 70ft away from where he entered. Walked closer and he came out and went in a differnt hole. The next time he came out he was really wound up and went back in again. I decided to pick him up next time he came out as to me it looked like he was struggling to find in such a big earth. Don't know if I've done the right thing or if we should have left him till he decided to stay out or what he's my first terrier and I know very little. Any advice/criticism please tell me I can take abuse if I've been a bit of a twat with him as I'd sooner be told then spoil him. Atb