Introducing A Mature Dog To The Ferrets

I have done it a few times. I put a hutch right infront of the kennel so the dog sees the ferret all the time, but most importantly the dog sees me handling the ferret and putting it back in the hutch, and even put the ferret into a carrying box and walk the dogs when the dog has run off abit of energy get the ferret out, let it see me handle the ferret (no pun) and build up like that. I'd spend the summer doing it and keep try it working next season. That said, as steady as the dog seems, the first time it bolts a rabbit and then the ferret shows tests my nerves to the limits!

your best bet is to have a well behaved dog along that works well with ferrets. obviously you need to restrain the dog but allow it to watch and learn for a few outings. dissapline the dog everytime it tries to misbehave. slow and steady. also letting the dog burn off steam before training is exellent advice. :thumbs: