Calling Off Scent

its something that most of my dogs have done. if a dogs keen for hunting scent sometimes you would be aswell as shouting at a fence post,sometimes shouting loud ect that can bring more attention to you than what the dog would, a lot of the time will come back relatively quick anyway. its roe deer that are the problem at all the bits I go, never done scenting them, nightmare! its a fine line because if you are hunting a bit hill ground or bits with permission where you can let them rip then there is nothing worse if there is stuff about and you've got a dog that doesn't leave your side. ive found lamping is where it becomes the biggest pain in the arse, although can catch a fair bit out the lamp hunting on. the more lamping you do should take the sting out it, giving it plenty runs on rabbits. best thing is though lamp them first from quite an early age then that's getting them more how you want them. cheers

• Like 1

My beddy/whippet used to be really bad for hunting up. Her recall was shocking when she first started coming out and doing a bit. She still doesnt have perfect recall when she picks up a scent, as in she wont come running back to me when i call, but if i tell her stay there, she stops dead and wont go any further. No infact she might take another couple of steps and il growl stay there at her again. She knows im not messing then. Farmers here shoot dogs reguarly so i cant afford for her to even nip into a field iv no permission on, even although shes totally stock broken. I would scruff her and give her a shake when she did take off and i got her back. Only had to do it a handfull of times to her when she was a pup but now i can take her anywhere with me and i barely have to give her any commands. If shes chasing game she wont come back till shes caught it or lost it.

• Like 1