1St X Saluki

• 2 weeks later...

well I never thought id be writing this but the bitch had to be put down yesterday,she for some reason mauled a sheep,and had no intentions of stopping either,and as we hunt in lots of sheep infested land thats unforgivable..She did the unforgivable act and we couldnt trust her ever again to be let run amongst them..after 2 years she turned...lifes a bitch at times...defo need a new pup now.

A saluki doing a sheep...now theres a surprise...the truth is that Ireland ain't like England theres no sheep on the fens try a different cross lad...salukis were bred to tackle antelope if they loose a big rabbit and theres something handy they'll take it atb

A saluki doing a sheep...now theres a surprise...the truth is that Ireland ain't like England theres no sheep on the fens try a different cross lad...salukis were bred to tackle antelope if they loose a big rabbit and theres something handy they'll take it atb

thats not correct,we have an 8 year old 1st x thats never looked at sheep ever,and ran amongst them while coursing different varietys of game,,im at this game a long time and not a beginner and its the 1st dog weve had to stray from the rule book

Been reading Plummers Bullshit have you ?

Na been going on experience with salukis have seen 3 go for mutton, rip theyre throats out like good old professionals.have also seen loads that didn't. Truth is I don't trust them they've a mind of they're own when off the lead. I know people swear by them they're just not for me. We all entitled to our opinion.

• Like 1

Here no problem each to their own. I was gifted a dog pup about ten years ago from a local fella who bred a litter of saluki lurchers. Long story short I reared it to about 12 months in which time I had it round sheep and it showed absolutely no interest in them. Anyway, I had it out at the start of the season put a hare up and he did ok the hare made cover and he went out of sight. When I got to him he was standing over a ram waiting on the mint sauce. I was telling the lad who bred them what happened he said the whole litter were the same...everyone can have their own opinion going by experience, that's one of mine. If your hunting on big arable land in England where you can see for miles that's different but if your in small fields and your running to a ditch with your heart in your mouth that's different. Cheers.

• Like 1

Here no problem each to their own. I was gifted a dog pup about ten years ago from a local fella who bred a litter of saluki lurchers. Long story short I reared it to about 12 months in which time I had it round sheep and it showed absolutely no interest in them. Anyway, I had it out at the start of the season put a hare up and he did ok the hare made cover and he went out of sight. When I got to him he was standing over a ram waiting on the mint sauce. I was telling the lad who bred them what happened he said the whole litter were the same...everyone can have their own opinion going by experience, that's one of mine. If your hunting on big arable land in England where you can see for miles that's different but if your in small fields and your running to a ditch with your heart in your mouth that's different. Cheers.

please don't think I'm having a pop because I'm definitely not, they have lived for centuries in there COO amongst sheep goats camels and BOP ect depending who had them and only a small part of England is big arable, cheers.
  • Like 1

Aye no problem here maybe I'm wrong...i knew that when I started that conversation it would be taken up by lads who love their saluki lurchers...the lad put the post up had that dog for 2 years and it never showed an interest in wool before...I've said me piece on it so ill let it go there...atb

• Like 1

Probably very similar land where I go it's relatively small arable, hill farms, lots of livestock, wire fences, dry stone walls etc. Big land in the east of the country is well known, but never visited by the majority of lads over here Edited by low plains drifter