Should I Get My Bitches Spayed

I have a collie lurcher and a Bedlington who are 9 and 8 years old, they have never had litters.

My vet has recommended me to get them spayed to avoid health problems in such as cancer of ovaries and mammary glands.

He wants £250 for each dog.

I am always cautious with vets and there tendency to create work for themselves so I thought I would ask for advice on here.

In my situation would you get them spayed?

well , i keep males as normally , but i did have alurcher x lurcher bitch, years back . she lived to 14 year old, never bred of her, and never had her spayed . she was quite greyhoundy 25in smooth brindle manly running dog just bit of collie . she only came into season once a year, dont know if it was because she was alot like greyhound, and some greyhounds bitches are the same. so if it was me and the bitches seem in good health, and dont have probs when they come in heat, and it dont knock them about, i leave it and just take every year with them as it comes. if no prob leave well alone, if not and there probs with there season's get them done .!

• Like 1

you might also find this helpful

just watched it, some good points, and not changed my mind though , if a bitch is ok no probs with her seasons then leave it . funny enough i met few dog walkers with males who been done had there nuts off, the reason they gave was to stop dogs looking for bitches and stop dog aggression . well i say to them both my dogs never been done, they dont go looking for bitches, and there not dog aggressive . they are trained animals , and most males will act the same way as my 2 deff, one 9 year the other 4 year old, not saying every male will act the same, but most will if they been trained proper :yes:

well , i keep males as normally , but i did have alurcher x lurcher bitch, years back . she lived to 14 year old, never bred of her, and never had her spayed . she was quite greyhoundy 25in smooth brindle manly running dog just bit of collie . she only came into season once a year, dont know if it was because she was alot like greyhound, and some greyhounds bitches are the same. so if it was me and the bitches seem in good health, and dont have probs when they come in heat, and it dont knock them about, i leave it and just take every year with them as it comes. if no prob leave well alone, if not and there probs with there season's get them done .!

I am thinks like you Ray, there can be complications with any surgery and they are not that young really.

you might also find this helpful

just watched it, some good points, and not changed my mind though , if a bitch is ok no probs with her seasons then leave it . funny enough i met few dog walkers with males who been done had there nuts off, the reason they gave was to stop dogs looking for bitches and stop dog aggression . well i say to them both my dogs never been done, they dont go looking for bitches, and there not dog aggressive . they are trained animals , and most males will act the same way as my 2 deff, one 9 year the other 4 year old, not saying every male will act the same, but most will if they been trained proper :yes:

im with you Ray, there seems to be good evidence on the video to say leave well alone... ive only ever had the one lurcher dog done as he had a retained testicle was worried about cancer, other than that all my dogs and bitches have remained intact never had any of so say related problems in old age etc..interesting vid :thumbs: