Boiled Bones / Dogs Dinner.

Someone (??maybe Socks??) said, on a fairly recent dog-feeding thread, 'boiled bones are fine' in some context.

I've just cooked up some lamb breasts and ribs that we didn't eat and needed using up, for Pups's stew. Ordinarily I de-bone before feeding.

But as they are 'non-supporting' bones, and he can chew pretty much everything, what's your advice/ experience? (Seriously, his teeth could probs chew Chuck Norris's teeth, judging by the decimation of my garden and stuff since he arrived!)

Posting this in more than one section, hoping someone has time to reply. Thanks. (PS Dog is nearly 11 months, healthy, moderately fit, med size sighthound, who only usually gets whole bone in form of raw chicken wing for clean teeth).

Someone (??maybe Socks??) said, on a fairly recent dog-feeding thread, 'boiled bones are fine' in some context.

I've just cooked up some lamb breasts and ribs that we didn't eat and needed using up, for Pups's stew. Ordinarily I de-bone before feeding.

But as they are 'non-supporting' bones, and he can chew pretty much everything, what's your advice/ experience? (Seriously, his teeth could probs chew Chuck Norris's teeth, judging by the decimation of my garden and stuff since he arrived!)

Posting this in more than one section, hoping someone has time to reply. Thanks. (PS Dog is nearly 11 months, healthy, moderately fit, med size sighthound, who only usually gets whole bone in form of raw chicken wing for clean teeth).

i would not give them to the dog, because you said they been cooked 1st, good chance they will splinter . i can't see the point of boiling bones , just give them raw from the butcher, then you know they will be safe. i give small bones when i can get them= knuckle ,ribs from either cow,sheep,pig, what ever i can get. i used to give big marrow beef bones, but after few days the dogs got bored with them , so give small ones now and the like them and eat the bloody lot lol

i would not give them to the dog, because you said they been cooked 1st, good chance they will splinter . i can't see the point of boiling bones , just give them raw from the butcher, then you know they will be safe. i give small bones when i can get them= knuckle ,ribs from either cow,sheep,pig, what ever i can get. i used to give big marrow beef bones, but after few days the dogs got bored with them , so give small ones now and the like them and eat the bloody lot lol

I get what you're saying, and I wouldn't cook a bone I was giving just as a bone. But I sometimes use meat on the bone for the dog's stew (things on spesh or reduced for quick sale) and wasn't sure whether it was necessary to remove bones once cooked, as they're relatively soft. Gave him one of the ribs earlier and he crunched it up in a trice.

Cooked bone changes in structure compared to raw bone and can splinter and compact in the gut over time.

I only ever feed raw bones including lamb backs, breast of lamb and suchlike. Nothing like a bit of fatty lamb breast to get em looking nice.

Matt

• Like 1

Boiled are different to roasted..

Roasted splinter..

Boiled rabbits and chickens are okay..

I'd give lamb bones raw & the bigger bones ain't much cop..

There ok for entertainment for the dogs but find ribs, necks have more meat on them..

As has been said baking a bone in the oven will cause it it to harden and splinter ... Boiling a bone makes it soft ... Get a raw chicken strip the meat off and boil the carcass ... When it is done you can practically mash it up with your bare hands ... Boiled bones are just fine ........