First Night Out Of The Season

I've been meaning to get out for a couple of weeks now, but finally got round to it tonight. Jake (the lurcher) has been out dogging in every day now for the last 8 weeks so he is pretty fit, but getting wound up just flushing pheasants and he has been getting quite sharp at catching the odd poult.

Anyway, parked up the buggy and walked across the first field where there was nothing out, I was thinking to myself that I should have gone the other side of the estate, when I spotted a squatter 20 yards away in the long grass. I slipped the dog thinking it would be a great start to the night.

Just as the dog got up to it, the bunny dropped into a burrow I didn't know was there- I was 'poaching' the head 'keepers beat so I was off my own turf.

Jake hurtled off into the darkness, as if just willpower alone would put the rabbit in the bag. It didn't. Eventually he came back.

Next field had a few nettle patches dotted throughout it, and a good number of rabbits, I slipped Jake onto a rabbit that was just realising some thing was up but its sporadic run, stop, run, stop didn't do it any favours and jake brought it back to a couple of yards away. I chinned that and sent jake out to a squatter about 40 yards away, it jumped from its seat as jake got up to it, it ran 3 or 4 yards and squat again, and didn't move while he picked up bunny number two.

As we walked back to gate I sent jake on an easy squatter about 15 yards away but the thistle 30 yards away looked better to the dog. Luckily the rabbit, despite my shouting and hollering, stayed squat so jake picked it up.

The next field held a good dozen rabbits which were a lot jumpier than the others, but we had two rabbits from two runs and called it a night.

It was no mega night out, not by a long way, but it was a lot better than jakes first trip out last season!

Thanks for reading

• Like 3