Looking For Advice

My young lurcher got a hygroma on left elbow and was wondering if anyone knew much about them and how to treat it. Had him at vet and vet reckoned the fluid would disperse over time but still the same and was hoping to start running him next month. Any info would be appreciated cheers

Hi Leo, hygranas are dark fluid filled pockets, the cause is inadequate padding or bedding material, so it's essentially a pressure sore, it could also be a bite to the joint, the treatment is drainage, bandaging and antibiotics, avoid surgical removal because the elbow doesn't heal well. It can be drained but will take anywhere from 1-5 weeks to heal. In the meantime the elbow must be wrapped and bandaged with enough vets medicalwrap to prevent further irritation.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hi Leo, hygranas are dark fluid filled pockets, the cause is inadequate padding or bedding material, so it's essentially a pressure sore, it could also be a bite to the joint, the treatment is drainage, bandaging and antibiotics, avoid surgical removal because the elbow doesn't heal well. It can be drained but will take anywhere from 1-5 weeks to heal. In the meantime the elbow must be wrapped and bandaged with enough vets medicalwrap to prevent further irritation.

Hope this helps.

Agree, hygromas/bursitis, thicker bedding etc is required one of the main causes is because of the dog getting up from hard surfaces

Cheers saluki 71 I'm glad you said that my vet was wanting to go down the removal route but wasn't keen on the idea so thought I'd post on here. He has adequate bedding but would rather be lying out in the run instead of in the box. How often would it need to be drained and how would you go about wrapping it?

If you're confident you can do it yourself, but if not get your vet to do it. You need to put cotton wool on the wound and then wrap gauge around the leg and joint, not to tight to trap circulation but it needs to be padded and secure and most importantly kept dry, change twice a week and keep giving antibiotics.