hi all a good friend of mine is think of having a 17hmr what he would like to no do the barrell on the hmr wear out fast he was told that after 2000 shots they begin to wear i dont now the anser :doh: so i thought id ask

all the best W.D :thumbs:

i couldnt see the barrel wearing out after 2000 rounds mate. i no someone that has shot over 4000 in his and its still as good as the day he had it he said. i no its a powerfull for a rimfire but i havent heard of a barrel wearing out on one. they get nowhere near as hot as a centrefire so i couldnt see one wearing out. and if it did it wear out which again i think it wouldnt. it would only wear out on one thats used at a range alot. if your friends just using it for hunting then you have no worrys. and just remember to boresnake it every 40 to 50 rounds. and rod it every couple of 100 or so :thumbs:

Edited by jamie g
hi all a good friend of mine is think of having a 17hmr what he would like to no do the barrell on the hmr wear out fast he was told that after 2000 shots they begin to wear i dont now the anser :doh: so i thought id ask

all the best W.D :thumbs:

i couldnt see the barrel wearing out after 2000 rounds mate. i no someone that has shot over 4000 in his and its still as good as the day he had it he said. i no its a powerfull for a rimfire but i havent heard of a barrel wearing out on one. they get nowhere near as hot as a centrefire so i couldnt see one wearing out. and if it did it wear out which again i think it wouldnt it would wear out on one thats used at a range alot. if your friends just using it for hunting then you have no worrys. and just remember to boresnake it every 40 to 50 rounds. and rod it every couple of 100 or so :thumbs:

That sounds about spot on, they are fast, compared to .22LR, up to about 2550ft sec, but wearing out barrels ......certainly not a problem, lite or heavy barrels should not have any problem hunting, they tend to get a little warmer with target (but the truth is the HMR is designed as a hunting round) and I know 4 - 5 people with HMR and never heard of a problem. Make sure you clean the barrel well just the same, but then again you have to do that with all cartridge rifles.