After reading Stab's recent shooting thread and seeing the sorry sight of a fox with mange (Pic below, hope you dont mind me nicking it Stabs) prompted me to ask the readers on here What's it like in your area?

Where I excercise my dogs we have an overly healthy population of foxes. :good:

Every now and again we catch site of or end the life of one or two foxes that have got mange, it's the norm.

This year over the last 6 months or so I have noticed and there have been lots more sightings of Fox with severe mange problems, foxes seen on streets locally in daytime, friends, relatives, farmers telling me etc etc..

It hasn't drastically reduced the fox population as such, but is noticeable that there are fewer around this year...

How long does the cycle last whereby a healthy population reduces in numbers to stop the spread of mange?

What's it like in your area ???

a014.jpg

No worries Jack.

Funnily enough, foxes taken on that side of the farm have all had mange to some extent, though not as bad as that one.

Foxes taken on the other side of the same farm have all been clean.

Sporadic outbreaks near to me. Last year I shifted about a dozen during the spring-early summer, from a small paddock area that was surrounded by houses and an indutrial estate. Very much overpopulated, the foxes were a terrible sight. I live trapped one later in the year that was as healthy as feck and was released. I've had no call this summer, so it looks like the problem has gone...for now!

mange is pretty common in the urban area i live. They are a pitiful sight and i wish there was some way i could "vaccinate" them against it. The best thing i feel ids to kill as many of them as possible. The fox population local is at an all-time low. I hope this sorts itself out in the near future.