Cruciate Ligament

He was put to sleep last night ?. I went and spoke to the vet about it all again to see if there was a chance. He said when the dog was under sedation for the X-ray they manipulate the leg joint and there was excessive movement in the joint which tells them the ligament was totally gone. He said it's about £1k for the op but he said the dog will never run the same again and at as it had ruptured just over a week ago then arthritis would be setting in already. I'm glad they told me how it is tho. It's a hard pill to swallow

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeh 95% dont run right after this type injury , as said i had bitch have it, finished ad 4 year old, but kept her as pet till was 14, she was ok in her self went on walks etc, but could never run q

My old bitch had cruciate damage to what extent unsure as vet advised strict rest. Only walked to empty herself for 6weeks , then further 4 week really short walk I think, then built up like that. She

norm if they have a OP , they dont run proper again, its like you say max it depends on our severer in injury. i had lurcher bitch that had the op, at 4 year old but she never ran again, hope the do

He was put to sleep last night . I went and spoke to the vet about it all again to see if there was a chance. He said when the dog was under sedation for the X-ray they manipulate the leg joint and there was excessive movement in the joint which tells them the ligament was totally gone. He said it's about £1k for the op but he said the dog will never run the same again and at as it had ruptured just over a week ago then arthritis would be setting in already. I'm glad they told me how it is tho. It's a hard pill to swallow

sorry for you mate, really am , but i did say its a bad injury for a running dog, you prob done the best thing. you going to get another lurcher pup, or leave it for a while, i know it knocks the guts out of you .

It has knocked me. I gave up the lurchers for a few year after the best dog I ever had retired. I got back into it when I went and got a new pup. Spent the year training etc only for the dog to not come anywhere near what I was looking for. Moved her on to a home where she would be more use to and brought myself in another pup. She is 15 month old and is a good rabbit dog but that is all she will be at most. No fire in her belly at all. I got the big dog from a mate who had some difficulties and had to move the dog in. This was the closest I had got to having a dog like the old ones again, totally gave me the buzz to get out more and more and I did and had some great nights days with him. There is nothing better than seeing a dog give absolutely everything but as they say it only happens to the good ones.

Edited by obi2
  • Like 1

You have done the right thing Obi.

If you do get another pup avoid running them up very steep banks or enticing them to jump up on their hind legs for a rag or lure. This injury generally occurs when the dog is fairly young but is more or less fully grown. Best Of Luck.