Cant afford a ferret finder

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to start out my two boys I got from Smudgersmith but I cant afford a ferret finder.

I really really really dont want to loose them down a bury

I use my girls on a line but I dont want to anymore incase it gets trapped

Is it OK to ferret without a finder???

someone help

Thanks

personally i wouldnt throw a ferret down a burrow without a collar...

if you dont feel comfortable ferreting without a locator, which it seems you dont, then just save up for one.

do what most of us do, take a look round you garage or where ever you keep any old hunting or unwanted gear you have laying around & flog it to finance needed gear. simple.

richie

I personally have been there and tried it, and just dont enjoy it. Obviously some people of the old school (ditch will be along soon lol) think they are completly unnessesary. I know a few folk who work without them, including my dad who had been ferreting for a good 20 years and never lost a ferret, he waited alot though lol and they get along fine without them, fair enough.

As I said, I have tried it but just dont find it enjoyable. I dont subscibe to this rubbish about 'anyone who works a ferret without a collar is a cock' as some people say, its their way they can do what they want.

You obviously dont seem comfortable about it. Just save up and start next season. No rush!.

Good luck what ever you decide to do :thumbs:

H&J

I want to start out my two boys I got from Smudgersmith but I cant afford a ferret finder.

someone help

Thanks

You can manage fine without one mate. Just choose situations where the sets are not massive. Take an extra pair of eyes with you in the form of a mate if you're working hedges or places where you can't see all the holes. If you get a lay up, lay down and listen at hole mouths, and if you decide to dig, use a stick or a piece of wire or similar to judge direction. Mainly small burries though and you won't go far wrong. NB this time of year, pack in soon after lunch time, then if owt happens, you've three or four hours to sort it. Good hunting mate. :thumbs:

Guest Magwitch

Some very sound advice from Richie :thumbs: people who ferret without a locators and collars are fools simple has that!!!! they will save you a lot of digging, they will find your pug for you and any dead or injured rabbits. :snack:

Obviously some people of the old school (ditch will be along soon lol) think they are completly unnessesary.

:whistling:

I'm sure you could and many people do get along without them... but for the bit they cost its well worth it... they gives you such piece of mind when you've been sat around a while with no indications... whip the box out and find out whats going on down there... just cause you got a locator on your ferret doesn't mean you have to dig it... or follow the ferret around the warren....

someone help

Thanks

its okay to go out without 1 but you mite have a long day if they lay up but theres ways of getting them out squeaking at holes or take the guts out of the rabbit & rub them round the hole but make sure the ferret dosent get them or it will be a long shift i never had 1 when i was younger but now i wish id saved it :victory: would of been a lot easier cheers

Guest Ditch_Shitter

No, mate. But sweeping, generalised insults, launched from a key board and sent out to the faces, names and memories of a great many men, down the millenia, I find unpalatable.

Ye talking like a muslim.

Guest Magwitch
No, mate. But sweeping, generalised insults, launched from a key board and sent out to the faces, names and memories of a great many men, down the millenia, I find unpalatable.

Ye talking like a muslim.

The comment i made was directed at people who put a uncollared ferret in a warren and hope for the best, your insult was directed at me. how much ferreting do you do Mr Shitter