Got A Good Load But Got A Problem

Well after some very helpful information from Devon flighter it turns out the reloading book which cost me £25 turned out to have given me wrong information stating I should not load with less than 34grains was very wrong for my rifle turns out mine likes it running at 32.5 is the best group so far with all my shots landing under a £1 coin after fouling shot which is perfect for what I need it for

49430742-B355-42F0-8FAA-D683A9B684FF_zps

• Like 1

Happy days on the grouping mate. :thumbs:

I've just taken a look in one of my reloading manuals and it states that RX15 with a 55 grain pill can start as low as 31.7 grains, going to a maximum of 35.5 grains.

No wonder you were seeing signs of overpressure. :icon_eek: . Toss that book in the skip! :laugh:

Edited by Tremo
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just read this thread. Sir you were saying your primers were fine and showing no signs of an over pressure. I think you had better look at the primer of a fired factory round that's been fired through your gun and go back and compare that to the rounds you were having the trouble lifting the bolt with after you had fired them.

A primer will show signs of over pressure well before the bolt gets noticeably different to lift. If you want to be serious about reloading and working loads up and finding a good nod, then it would be in your best interest to really study the primers fired under normal chamber pressures to those that have exceeded the chamber presser to the point of starting to flatten the primers. If your flattening primers but the bolt is not sticky, your still way over pressure. You won't get many reloads out of your brass if your flattening the primers. You will stretch the primer pockets out and the brass will be useless and you will have to get more brass after only a few firings.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read this thread. Sir you were saying your primers were fine and showing no signs of an over pressure. I think you had better look at the primer of a fired factory round that's been fired through your gun and go back and compare that to the rounds you were having the trouble lifting the bolt with after you had fired them.

A primer will show signs of over pressure well before the bolt gets noticeably different to lift. If you want to be serious about reloading and working loads up and finding a good nod, then it would be in your best interest to really study the primers fired under normal chamber pressures to those that have exceeded the chamber presser to the point of starting to flatten the primers. If your flattening primers but the bolt is not sticky, your still way over pressure. You won't get many reloads out of your brass if your flattening the primers. You will stretch the primer pockets out and the brass will be useless and you will have to get more brass after only a few firings.

This was a round that was make bolt hard to open does it show signs of pressure?

D8C818E1-4826-48F7-8000-570C93709FB7_zps

A688D269-6EF9-49C6-B95A-0560AB67B50D_zps

They were no different from a hornday factory round but the problem is now solved