Got A Good Load But Got A Problem

Found a nice accurate round now but find it hard to open the bolt after shooting each one been told it's due to pressure so was thinking of going back a few grains to see if would open easy and hopefully keep a nice tight group. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get around it ?

Found a nice accurate round now but find it hard to open the bolt after shooting each one been told it's due to pressure so was thinking of going back a few grains to see if would open easy and hopefully keep a nice tight group. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get around it ?

Without knowing any more details mate I would have to say that it sounds like overpressure. What weight powder and what weight are you running? What is the maximum weight stated by the vendor?

Don't shoot any more of these rounds until you have established the cause!

Edited by Tremo
  • Like 1

I would start again at the minimum load and work up, only this time make a note of where the stiff bolt lift and/or tough extraction begins.

This is one of the headaches that comes with reloading .............. All rifles are different. The specified data for a particular load my not be the most suitable for your rifle.

Have you saved your spent cases from the overpressure firings? I would inspect them to see if anything obvious is visible e.g. -

http://www.massreloading.com/reading_pressure_signs.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-utTFzrJi2M

What make powder and primers are you using? Also what weight pills?

At 35.5 grain seemed fine but groups opens up a bit the primers don't show signs of high pressure but they are cci the powder is reloader 15 pushing a 55grain vmax pill. Think I will start at 34grains and work up again

I would mate. :thumbs: . If you can't get the results that you want try a different powder. I've never used RL15 so I can't give any advice there. I used Hodgdons CFE 223 out of my 22-250, and still use it out of my 223. It gives good velocity and accuracy. It meters well and is very clean.

Keep an eye on that pressure and take care. ;)

• Like 1

Could be over pressure. However could be another problem - are you neck sizing only? If so, it could be that the shoulder datums could have crept forward - are the rounds also causing quite a bit of resistance when closing the bolt on them? Remedy - full length your cases. Assume this is a 22,250? If so are you keeping your case length to around 1.905"

Going back to the possibilities of over pressure, had a look around the web and with RL 15 , the weight of powder you are using is around what people are shooting with the 50 gr bullet with the 55 gr bullet most seem around the 34 - 35 gr mark.

Bullets cycle fine if not been fired keeping brass trimmed so it's at 1.895 and bullet is seated at 10thou from lands going to use less powder as I like my gun and face just means playing with reloads again till I am happy

• Like 1