Advice On Whippet

New to the forum lads, just got my own full whippet pup and was just looking a bit of advice. I've done plenty of lamping rabbits and foxes with my friends bull x lurchers and done plenty of ferreting with my own ferrets but now I've got my own whippet I'm trying to think of what route to take with him. The dam was a working bitch and the sire is well known at the whippet racing here in ni. The thing is can he be worked at rabbits and also raced at the shows? Also he isn't kc registered so would that stop him being raced/showed? Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions but I'm a bit green lol

You can't show a non ped whippet mate. Not as a whippet anyway but you could do as a lurcher. Think that there was a thing called 'Scruffs' (Crufts for crossbreed dogs) and you can show Lurchers at game fairs.

I think that it will be the same for whippet racing but you can race him as a lurcher and any whippet / lurcher racing club will let him run there.

Working as well as the above shouldn't be a problem. Lots of whippet breeders sell their dogs as show, working & racing whippets so no reason why you can't do it all with yours.

Dont know what rules are NI but you could race him in non ped whippet racing but if hes KC type breeding he might be a bit slow for his weight,so better in small lurcher races. I used to race a kc Whippet at a club and was never asked for papers,but I may of been if I'd entered an open race I suppose.

• Like 1