Western Rivers Caller Worked

So i borrowed my mate's western rivers caller to try it out last night. Never really used one so i wanted to try it out before i get an electric caller. After sitting in one spot for 1 1/2 hours and necking a litre of coffee, the tricky vixen I've been after showed up.

Spotted her through the thermal and she decided to sit on a bank behind a load of trees giving me no clear shot.
She sat there for 10 minutes after i lowered the volume without moving.
Finally i changed the call, whacked the volume up and she came flying into the caller which was at 100 yards.
She wouldn't stop moving and was sniffing around the caller which was now on pause, Gave her the trusty "OI" to stop here moving and SMACK.
All in all a good bit of kit, but so boring being sat there for hours.

post-36631-0-78565900-1458814369_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well done mate. Like your set up. What rifle / calibre are using there?

Unbelievably and frustratingly, just the other night was the first time I have missed a fox. Don't know how and its still annoying me today. I was on one of my permissions for the day and decided to try some different ammo. I had purchased 40 rnds of Sellior & Bellot in 22-250 55gr. I spent some time time and zeroed them perfectly to shoot 1" high at 100yds. I was extremely happy with my grouping and as a last going off decided to see if I could put a hole through a 2p piece at the same distance. Took the shot and the 2p disappeared. Took me ages to find it and I was obviously over the moon with the round and my shooting.

Anyway, it was still a few more hours before dark so I took a much needed walk and hit a few squirrels that were feeding on the ground just around the edges of some oak. They looked a bit messy :blink::laugh: and its not something I usually shoot with a .22-250 but, the farmers wife is really fed up with them and she has asked me to shoot as many as possible.

Later, I returned to my car and decided to wait until dark. Unfortunately, I dont have night vision having to rely on my trusty lamp. A good hour or so had passed and no sign of any foxes. So I decided I would give a last call and a quick shine of the lamp before heading off to another area. Very briefly, I caught the return of a pair of eyes in the lamp. I had a red filter on so I quickly shouldered my rifle but because it was a good 160-170yds away and my lamp is not the best with a filter on, I could not see if it was a fox or not. The farmer has a few cats about as well, but I was convinced by the movements it was a fox. I gave a couple of quiet squeaks and it came nearer. Another shine of the lamp and I could now make out it was Charlie. Eventually, Charlie came within 100yds and I had the opportunity. Squeezed the trigger, shot went off, I heard a thump but did not see if the fox had dropped. Convinced I had hit it, :hmm: I gave it a moment and gave another shine of the lamp. Further around to my left and a lot further up the banking, I could see another fox, or so I thought. It turned out to be the same fox I thought I had shot. :cray: Charlie had escaped before I could get another round off. :(

I have no idea how I missed the fox, and it was certainly frustrating after having a great day zeroing my rifle. But, I suppose that's how it goes.

Went back Tuesday night to the same area and picked up a pair of eyes again, but they were well in amongst some trees and bushes. Tried squeeking but to no avail.

Going back tomorrow to try the same, and some different areas. I think I'm gonna have to invest in thermal or other night vision as well.

Thanks for the post Rifleman.

Tredegar man I see :bye: I spend a lot of time over there. Happy shooting

Well done mate. Like your set up. What rifle / calibre are using there?

Unbelievably and frustratingly, just the other night was the first time I have missed a fox. Don't know how and its still annoying me today. I was on one of my permissions for the day and decided to try some different ammo. I had purchased 40 rnds of Sellior & Bellot in 22-250 55gr. I spent some time time and zeroed them perfectly to shoot 1" high at 100yds. I was extremely happy with my grouping and as a last going off decided to see if I could put a hole through a 2p piece at the same distance. Took the shot and the 2p disappeared. Took me ages to find it and I was obviously over the moon with the round and my shooting.

Anyway, it was still a few more hours before dark so I took a much needed walk and hit a few squirrels that were feeding on the ground just around the edges of some oak. They looked a bit messy :blink::laugh: and its not something I usually shoot with a .22-250 but, the farmers wife is really fed up with them and she has asked me to shoot as many as possible.

Later, I returned to my car and decided to wait until dark. Unfortunately, I dont have night vision having to rely on my trusty lamp. A good hour or so had passed and no sign of any foxes. So I decided I would give a last call and a quick shine of the lamp before heading off to another area. Very briefly, I caught the return of a pair of eyes in the lamp. I had a red filter on so I quickly shouldered my rifle but because it was a good 160-170yds away and my lamp is not the best with a filter on, I could not see if it was a fox or not. The farmer has a few cats about as well, but I was convinced by the movements it was a fox. I gave a couple of quiet squeaks and it came nearer. Another shine of the lamp and I could now make out it was Charlie. Eventually, Charlie came within 100yds and I had the opportunity. Squeezed the trigger, shot went off, I heard a thump but did not see if the fox had dropped. Convinced I had hit it, :hmm: I gave it a moment and gave another shine of the lamp. Further around to my left and a lot further up the banking, I could see another fox, or so I thought. It turned out to be the same fox I thought I had shot. :cray: Charlie had escaped before I could get another round off. :(

I have no idea how I missed the fox, and it was certainly frustrating after having a great day zeroing my rifle. But, I suppose that's how it goes.

Went back Tuesday night to the same area and picked up a pair of eyes again, but they were well in amongst some trees and bushes. Tried squeeking but to no avail.

Going back tomorrow to try the same, and some different areas. I think I'm gonna have to invest in thermal or other night vision as well.

Thanks for the post Rifleman.

Tredegar man I see :bye: I spend a lot of time over there. Happy shooting

hi hunter, sorry for the late reply, went out again last night. Had 22 rabbits in hereford. Saw 2 foxes but only had the .22lr.

i'm using a Browning A-Bolt .223 with 50g norma. Got a pvs 14 mounted on the back with a night master 800 on top. i spot with a fst thermal scope. Expensive setup but I'm in the marines so I've signed out the nv and thermal for free from the store lol.

Strange to miss a fox at 100y the 22.250 flies pretty flat aswel and wind won't affect the round that much at 100. that being said I've missed a few in my time lol. The caller is western rivers, think my mate payed 350 for it. Im going to invest in a fox pro inferno i think.

Quite a few people lamp over Tredegar up Trevil way but not many people have full NV setups so i tend to get quite a few.

I shoot with thermal an Apex xd75 and I tell now its a different world through thermal, you will see quarry that you not see at all with normal Ir light,see mice/rats in open fields birds roosting in fields track charly as far as the eye can see in all conditions,I had charly come and have a crap 20 metres in front of me in open field never new I was there,charly also comes in much more readily when there is no dull red glow that you get from conventional Ir light,the only downside thermal is bloody expensive but I bit the bullet as they say and since have never looked back,the apex transfers to all my rifles with perfect zero as it can save three different zero points.

Edited by goldfinger