Spaniel X Terrier

harvey88

I think having them from a young pup and dissuading them from entering holes, especially sticking there head down a bunny hole can help, Mine marked a ragodin (coypu) earth when out in France , which I praised him for, he took it as encouragement and popped straight in bolted three, I could hear him thundering around about 5 metres back from the river bank, If I lived there it would definitely be my sport , but I don't and don't require anything more than a bushing dog for a lurcher and a dog to take beating, if he does rats it's a bonus. Atb Joe

I think theres some truth in what your saying mate about discouraging them not to enter a earth. I have used the same method with my terrier since she was 6 months old knowing i wouldnt be doing any digging with her shes always been discouraged from showing to much intrest in earths and hasnt dropped in yet but is still keen to flush them from cover. But ive always encouraged her to mark rabbits knowing that she will do the odd bit of ferreting.

• Like 1

Yes mate if they see it enter then it could be a different story but until then im happy believing that the schooling ive given mine she wont enter a earth on scent alone.

From whats been said above the same method seems to be working for other people aswell but thats with a spaniel x terrier. I will try the same thing with my next terrier but maybe it will prove me wrong lol

• Like 1

Gaz, that's a brilliant photo! :victory:

Haha cheers Jai. The missus wanted a selfie. I dragged her out the house on Valentine's Day to bring me digging gear. Then she watched me piss about on my hands and knees for an hour listening to a baying terrier and trying to pinpoint where she was, before digging her out with a grass edging tool. Haha.

We got there in the end. Bless her.

Whirrier the way to go I reckon

I had a patterdale x whippet that got dug to a couple of times ,was a cracking dog to send in and call out lol

Size is the problem ,although foxhound will try there best to do to ground lol

• Like 1