Staghounds

The best "big" game dog? Been reading about these dogs and I am begining to wonder why they are not the dog to have for foxes instead of bullXs.In the states they take coyote, in Aus they take boar and seem to take foxes for fun. Obviously having never seen 1 work I cant say too much about them, Is there a reason there not so popular or not as popular as bullXs?

cheers :thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of a litter of stag only 2 or 3 turn out hard while the rest are usally a bit soft

Are these litters out of proper stags bred stag to stag for generations? Very rarely will you get a failure out of a litter of pure stag pups. In Australia the bullygreyhound (english bull x greyhound) ,makes a good lugging dog on game such as wild pigs but for other Australian game they lack the hunt, speed and kill of a staghound. Stags are the original australian breed of dog developed by the early settlers to provide meat for the table and only carry late 1700,s early 1800,s deerhound and coursing greyhound blood from the same era.

They may work well over here mate, especially why they have the area and room they require. (in my case) Mine needs a fair bit of country to run larger game, but she picks up the rabbits fairly well too. I just reckon your Bully X seem to be pretty good on those foxes is it worth trying something new? or perfecting your existing breeds?

Pics007.jpg

they got abit of brain about em aswell

The best "big" game dog? Been reading about these dogs and I am begining to wonder why they are not the dog to have for foxes instead of bullXs.In the states they take coyote, in Aus they take boar and seem to take foxes for fun. Obviously having never seen 1 work I cant say too much about them, Is there a reason there not so popular or not as popular as bullXs?

cheers :thumbs:

theres a vid on the tube of four or more stages running a coyote they turn it quite a few times before one dog has the bottle to go in, then they all go in.

i would give my right arm for one of those stags

like the type kye off this site has. tested on harder ground and

tougher quarry my guess would be that one of these dogs

would do great over here on soft ground.

have looked up some of the sites on quarrinteen laws.

and its even worse bringing dogs to ireland than england..

even with sperm straws i have heard it can be costly.

with high risk of not been productive.

maybe some day i will have one of these cracking dogs.

and have got some great info on these dogs

one member off this site.

all the best

macker

I know you lads in Australia know what dogs suit the terrain best over there but you dont hear much about using saluki or saluki crosses over there i would off thought the right bred saluki would handle the heat and terrain well .Just wondered is there anyone over there that is hunting with saluki or saluki crosses .

Allgame, I have NEVER heard of only getting 2/3 decent stags out of each litter, all the dogs I have owned and the stags I have hunted with ALL the pups were hard workers. Because true stags are worked hard and previous generations have been culled hard for many generations until we have the dogs we have now.

I have a litter of smoothcoats due within the week and I expect all pups to be workers as all the pups in their litter and they're parents litter were workers. My dogs don't have problems hunting during the summer but then I don't run them during the day when it is 40-45C either and neither would I if they were saluki's instead.

Yes bullterriers are hard but with the game we run it can be detrimental as the meat is ruined and the dogs end up hurt as they dont 'think' as much

As for bull/greys looking better- do you want a hunting dog or a trophy to have on the back of the ute

I would prefer a dog that got up to the game quick and made the strike than a dog bred for endurance and running the game until it was tired like the saluki

Allgame, I have NEVER heard of only getting 2/3 decent stags out of each litter, all the dogs I have owned and the stags I have hunted with ALL the pups were hard workers. Because true stags are worked hard and previous generations have been culled hard for many generations until we have the dogs we have now.

I have a litter of smoothcoats due within the week and I expect all pups to be workers as all the pups in their litter and they're parents litter were workers. My dogs don't have problems hunting during the summer but then I don't run them during the day when it is 40-45C either and neither would I if they were saluki's instead.

Yes bullterriers are hard but with the game we run it can be detrimental as the meat is ruined and the dogs end up hurt as they dont 'think' as much

As for bull/greys looking better- do you want a hunting dog or a trophy to have on the back of the ute

I would prefer a dog that got up to the game quick and made the strike than a dog bred for endurance and running the game until it was tired like the saluki

The Right Greyhound and the right Deerhound, can be one Hell of a tough dog. Combine the two and you have a great working dog. MAD-MOUSE

My stags do the business for me. But I owned borrowed and tried lots to get a couple good ones. I run my dogs fairly hard in the winter months and find weekend warriers that breed there great dogs usually sell junk puppies from mediocore barely tried dogs. I prefer to cull and replace at the first sign of fear or weakness. Alot of people make excuses or keep there dogs kenneled all week and run them one weekend a month or less and think they have great dogs cause they are so wired. These people are also the talkers and seem to be the first to breed there dogs. They sell pups to newbies and the cycle starts over again. Then these people go far away and buy a dog from some one that nobody knows and bred them without trying those dogs either but it must be good cause it is new. these people are the first to critisize others aswell so you do not go and see them work there dogs. In my country this seems to be what is happening to the stag hound and why it is getting harder to find a good one.