Loss Of Drive / Injury - What To Do?

Tyla

My bushing terrier has never been known for lack of drive, in fact has been a bit of a menace in the past for for taking things that little bit too far.

That all changed back in june when he jumped out the truck and injured his back. He was partially paralysed and i thought it might be the end of him. It wasn't and with alot of TLC and vet bills hes back on his feet and able to work. Hes lost alot of muscle in his rear end which doesn't seem to be coming back regardless of excersize and domething has happened to his drive.

He wont search for quarry himself but will hunt it once another dog has found it. This is frustrating as he's my only busher and i hadnt reslised how much i rely on him.

I cant decide if its the injury thats stopping him and adrenaline that gets him going when another dog speaks or something else.

I don't often ask questions on here as i think its hard for anyone to judge without seeing but would be interested to hear people thoughts on this as im stumped.

A similar thing happened to one of my terriers a bad back injury when he was 6 year old and physically he's never been the same the muscle never came back like it was but mentally he is still the same dog and never lost his prey drive. In my experience the only thing to put a mad keen terrier off is when it's in some sort of pain and usually it has to be quite bad. That's what is making me think it must be the old injury.

• Like 1

Thats what i think too. Its hard to believe that hes just lost interest. Before he was brought back into work he had the all clear from my vet and the horse physio (perks of living on a stable yard) so any ideas on what to do next?

What's he like when he see's or he's close to his game? Is he still keen or has he lost interest altogether? is it like it's an effort to go and hunt/find game but when he see's it he forgets about the pain for while and then goes back to not being he's self when there's nothing around? If he's just lost interest altogether it's very strange especially with him being a seasoned dog it's not like he needs bringing on. To be honest iv never know this happen, maybe like you say an adrenaline issue?

When he's on quarry or can hear or see another dog at it he is as he always was if a little slower maybe. He just seems to have lost the desire to search for it. He's coming up 7 now so its not unreasonable to slow down a bit especially if he's hurting. That doesn't help me much though! I suppose he needs an apprentice but i'm not really wanting to take on another dog especially if he might sort himself out

Probably hurting bud but when he sees something going on he forgets when the adrenaline gets going ! Or could have realised he can save his energy and one the other days will do all the work and he can just get stuck in at the end !

I was going to say my honest opinion is get him an apprentice and semi retire him. I remember him in Spain he's just like one of my terriers the mad over the top working type, I wouldn't think he would just stop hunting for no reason he must be troubled in some way by the injury. Sometimes getting a new dog in to help out is the only way mate.

Bugger. I was hoping you lads would have some kind of 'magic wand' idea for me to try lol. Looks like i need to start thinking about a pup. I'll wait a bit though and give him a chance for whats left of the season then if he's the same it'll be time for a pup in the spring i suppose.

I'll bring him to yours Owain on the way back from Ireland and you can see what you think.

Yea and could pop up one Sunday and take him out with our old buddy and see if he wants to bush as a team was there today and feck me there was a lot about
  • Like 1