Wildfowling 3 Inch Vs 3.5 Inch Chamber

Right people I'm looking at getting an over and under 12 bore to use as an all rounder and fair bit of wildfowling and wondering what guns you use? And also is there much point in a 3.5 inch chamber or will 3 inch be more than enough?

You'll struggle to find a 3.5" OU and I wouldn't care to touch one of them off, Semi Auto yes.

But the real answer is why?

My opinion only (for what that's worth?) a 2 3/4" 12G shotgun has been doing the business for over 200 years, the 3.5" only gives you more shot

especially in steel, that is I believe the only reason such a thing has been marketed.

Have you seen the price of steel/Bismuth check !!!!

Anyway whatever, you can only legally use non-lead on wildfowl, so it's up to you?

Well there is a few over and indeed about with 3.5 chamber. I'm used to shooting side by side with tungsten matrix and bismuth but it cost a ridiculous amount now n was wanting a steel proofed gun the browning 425 waterfowl has both 3.5 and 3 inch varietys but was wondering other people opinion on whether the extra half inch make much of a difference??

Is it really worth it is the question, well in my opinion, not really.

At the end of all debates, if you put the right sized shot in the right place, the bird will fall be it with 30 grams or 60 grams.

Realistically, you need to decide what is going to pattern best for your chosen birds, i.e. ducks and geese.

3 1/2" shells will put a large amount of shot in the air but the shot string is so long, double what should be going through a 12 bore, they're not going to throw the best patterns. Not to mention the very long chambers causing slight issues when shorter shells are fired, i.e. 2. 1/2".

The only advantage that I've seen for them is when reloading steel shot. You can put 36 grams of steel into a 3 1/2" case and push it to hefty velocities, 1800 feet/second and more in some cases. The shot string is still too long for my liking but it increases the lethality of steel by adding velocity and therefore energy.

Other than that, if you're going to be buying steel, get yourself a 3" gun and with what you save by not buying a 3.5, spend it on good shells.

If you're really insistent on shooting huge amounts of steel shot into the air, buy yourself a Spanish 10 bore and be done with it :)

Not really wanting a 10 bore any more mate I shot with an ft baker hammer gun for years. Would prefer an all rounder gun that I can use for everything can't justify having a 10 bore sitting in cabinet for the marsh. Most of my duck and goose shooting will be inland over flight ponds but have always fancied taking a trip in Scotland and was thinking maybe be it would be wiser to get 3.5 chamber. Surely steel is the way forward? 25 tungsten cartridges are like 30 quid now

What side by sides are steel proof then? Only thing with them though is fixed choke ate?

Get a steel proofed sxs

zabala do a 3 1/2" steel magnum proof multi choke side by side , there well made guns and can pick them up cheap enough :thumbs:

Not really wanting a 10 bore any more mate I shot with an ft baker hammer gun for years. Would prefer an all rounder gun that I can use for everything can't justify having a 10 bore sitting in cabinet for the marsh. Most of my duck and goose shooting will be inland over flight ponds but have always fancied taking a trip in Scotland and was thinking maybe be it would be wiser to get 3.5 chamber. Surely steel is the way forward? 25 tungsten cartridges are like 30 quid now

Steel is by far the most affordable when dealing with ducks and geese these days. If I shot a fair amount of it, then I'd more than likely reload for it to get those high velocities.

From a killing point of view, I would want faster steel shot that's going to kill when it hits home than more shot traveling slower, not forgetting you're adding more pellets per ounce with steel than lead so you've already got a substantial amount of pellets for your 36 grams. You're still talking 35-40 yards on the marsh, any more I've found to be a bit of a gamble with steel.

There is nothing you can kill with a 3 1/2 that you can't kill with a 3" gun, all you end up doing is super extending the shot column that leads to "stringing" which means not all pellets will hit the bird at the same time which causes runners.

What side by sides are steel proof then? Only thing with them though is fixed choke ate?

Get a steel proofed sxs

Newer ones will more than likely be steel proofed and multi-choked. Beretta, Webleys, AYAs etc. Quite expensive though.