Shooting Straight

I think there is an average point of impact that takes in all your input. That's what I zero on. Especially when standing.

I don't care where the barrel is pointing. As long as after the shot hits its on target that's my approach.

So if I'll be shooting standing I knock it down a few inches.

For me a spring set up is different ever time I take it out. It might be bang on one day and 5mm off the next session, through loads of reasons. I doesn't hurt to back some paper before you head into the field. Shooting a springer "cold" is a sure way of missing targets you would of took after an hour or two "warm-up". I understand that this isn't always possible of course but it does help no end.

Yes Rez

I am not complaining I am just trying to improve and thought I would just have a chit chat about it. I know there are some good shooters on here and no mater how good I get to grips with it all I will never be to proud to ask the question.

Cold Rez that about sums it up but I feel lucky to have the long shed to shoot in. There is a log burner in there and the farm fitter leaves it on some times which just takes the edge off it when he has been in there all day.

To be fair man, I didn't fully read your OP. Briefly skimmed it like. So don't know what I might of said that could be wrong, just a post really :)

A quarter of a turn to the left then try it if not right repeat until it is .

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mac you beat me to it but spot on advice. :thumbs:

Quarter turns till you find your shot is corresponding to a light pressure on the trigger. Some years ago I spent a whole day shooting my HW80 with the trigger set from its hardest setting fully to right and watched how drastically the shot was affected and corrected turning the adjustmer screw to left all the way till the pressure was so light the rifle could be fired pointing upward when the trigger was released by pressing the safety catch button and the weight of the trigger alone was enought to fire the action.

Not a thing to do unless you know what you are doing but, I found you can actually fine tune your HW rifle trigger to incredible accuracy in the scope by resetting your trigger to a sweet let-off pressure without disturbing the rifle in the aim. When you are so practiced with shooting such a light sweet trigger action you don't even think of it anymore, your spring rifle will match any PCP shot for shot for accuracy.

Put the work in and you'll reap a hell of a reward!

• Like 1

For me a spring set up is different ever time I take it out. It might be bang on one day and 5mm off the next session, through loads of reasons. I doesn't hurt to back some paper before you head into the field. Shooting a springer "cold" is a sure way of missing targets you would of took after an hour or two "warm-up". I understand that this isn't always possible of course but it does help no end.

Yes Rez

I am not complaining I am just trying to improve and thought I would just have a chit chat about it. I know there are some good shooters on here and no mater how good I get to grips with it all I will never be to proud to ask the question.

Cold Rez that about sums it up but I feel lucky to have the long shed to shoot in. There is a log burner in there and the farm fitter leaves it on some times which just takes the edge off it when he has been in there all day.

To be fair man, I didn't fully read your OP. Briefly skimmed it like. So don't know what I might of said that could be wrong, just a post really :)

It's all good with me Rez, all advice is welcome.

• Like 1

A quarter of a turn to the left then try it if not right repeat until it is .

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mac you beat me to it but spot on advice. :thumbs:

Quarter turns till you find your shot is corresponding to a light pressure on the trigger. Some years ago I spent a whole day shooting my HW80 with the trigger set from its hardest setting fully to right and watched how drastically the shot was affected and corrected turning the adjustmer screw to left all the way till the pressure was so light the rifle could be fired pointing upward when the trigger was released by pressing the safety catch button and the weight of the trigger alone was enought to fire the action.

Not a thing to do unless you know what you are doing but, I found you can actually fine tune your HW rifle trigger to incredible accuracy in the scope by resetting your trigger to a sweet let-off pressure without disturbing the rifle in the aim. When you are so practiced with shooting such a light sweet trigger action you don't even think of it anymore, your spring rifle will match any PCP shot for shot for accuracy.

Put the work in and you'll reap a hell of a reward!

I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on, will it get to a point that is hair ? and can it cause the rifle to fire when it is snapped shut ?

You can't get a hair trigger setting that you can control properly by turning the screw all the way left. The let-off point is unpredictable to your finger's touch and it's dangerous when the weight of the trigger alone falling back,, can fire the action. I really don't recommend you try this unless you are really prepared for what happens.

All that happens is the trigger becomes floppy and loose feeling. And that's not a good position anyway. You can also find yourrself letting the shot fly as soon as you release the safety if your rifle is elevated much above downrange centre. So not a good idea all round to have the trigger set this loose.

The best setting is one that is light, controlable and predictable. Not loose and over-touch sensitive.

One other reason for your wandering hole is that after a while the hole is so big that you can't aim at a single fixed point anymore.

So one shot creeps a bit to the left, the aim point is wider so you aim a little to the left, which pushes the pellet further to the left....

Try giving your top turret a dozen up clicks. Your pellets won't be hitting where you aim, but the group will probably be tighter.

I went in the barn again tonight after work and I was warm and well wrapped up and totally chilled out and did not have to rush some practice shots in then have to pick someone up at a set time.

I tried the trigger on a box I put down range then I played with it a bit one way and then back the other and then I put it back to the original place. This is a SFS rifle that has been used by a HFT guy and the scope and trigger on this one of all my rifles is set up the best of what I have.

I have had a think about the feed back and I think I was a bit rough plugging too many shots through the same hole and I was cold and had a lot on my mind and in a bit of a rush with the trigger and also don't think I was viewing the scope straight on.

Any way with a better head on and taking on board what has been said I just eased 6 straight into the bull then set some things to knock down like empty 12 bore cartridges and some coke cans sat end on and had some fun knocking them all of one by one.

Happy days what a good night and it was raining out side.

I am going to have a change and take the HW100 fsb 177 in tomorrow and have some fun with that.

Cheers guys.

• Like 2