Calibre Question

Hi sean, I have a cz455 17hmr and have yet to have one stuck or find a cracked case, im using remington rounds and have always used them for this calibre.

As for .22 lr i cant answer that as never aquired one

I personaly find the 17 a cracking round other people im sure will disagree but each to there own mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hi:

Cracked casings, well why worry that's after you've fired them and your not reloading, so it doesn't matter a jot.

Stuck rounds (bullets), I had a 17hmr for 18 months when they first came out, too many times there was NO MAIN CHARGE just the primer, it

goes phutt and squirts the bullet into the barrel an undescribed distance, as long as you know its happened it's a case of cleaning rod from

the 'sharp' end and tap out the bullet, if your ok with that sort of 'shinanagins' carry on.

22 rimfire does none of the above, is cheap to run (ie £40 for 500, not £15 for 50), the 17 is very noisy & expensive the subsonic 22 is not.

For myself the extra range gifted by the 17hmr is a bridge to far given the other issues.

17hmr not for me, but that's me, there are plenty of experienced shots who swear by them.

It's just that I'm not one of them.

AF

Hi:

Cracked casings, well why worry that's after you've fired them and your not reloading, so it doesn't matter a jot.

Stuck rounds (bullets), I had a 17hmr for 18 months when they first came out, too many times there was NO MAIN CHARGE just the primer, it

goes phutt and squirts the bullet into the barrel an undescribed distance, as long as you know its happened it's a case of cleaning rod from

the 'sharp' end and tap out the bullet, if your ok with that sort of 'shinanagins' carry on.

22 rimfire does none of the above, is cheap to run (ie £40 for 500, not £15 for 50), the 17 is very noisy & expensive the subsonic 22 is not.

For myself the extra range gifted by the 17hmr is a bridge to far given the other issues.

17hmr not for me, but that's me, there are plenty of experienced shots who swear by them.

It's just that I'm not one of them.

AF

The thing that attracts me to .17 is it doesn't tend to ricochet, my permission is mostly open grass and light scrub. I'm torn between which route to go now!

Sean

What type of things are you hoping to shoot with your rifle when you have it, other than targets?

I'm guessing most of the land near you is open, very flat fenland which isn't great for most types of rifle shooting and usually needs some sort of height above the target to make it safe, so if you have the height, then a .22LR or HMR would be safe.

Where I have permission its mostly rabbit, squirrel, rat and hare that cause issue. The land is lightly undulating on the edge of the fens backing onto the wolds with several good thick copses of trees, my thoughts were to get above my mark or to shoot into the tree line. Rats i would still tackle with my air guns. I wouldn't use a full bore rifle on a fen, the air rifles are hard enough to find safe directions to shoot

Ive got the paper work for my FAC and as soon as my club probation is up im finalising everything. I'm doing as much "homework" as I can so when that time comes I know exactly what I want and have reason for having and (hopefully) the process should run a lot smoother.

Sean

Edited by sean85730

Where I have permission its mostly rabbit, squirrel, rat and hare that cause issue. The land is lightly undulating on the edge of the fens backing onto the wolds with several good thick copses of trees, my thoughts were to get above my mark or to shoot into the tree line. Rats i would still tackle with my air guns. I wouldn't use a full bore rifle on a fen, the air rifles are hard enough to find safe directions to shoot

If you have trees about, consider the use of a portable high seat. Btw hmr do ricochet, more so as you extend the range, but not as often as .22lr.

Hi again.

Yes the 17hmr does ricochet, especially with the heavier hollow point bullets.

But the 22 rimfire, especially the subsonic do ricochet something cruel, that

slow soft lead bullet really is a rubber ball, so watch out, try to avoid long

shots at shallow angles.

AF