Bsa Lightning Se Grt Low Power Output?

Hi Folks.I've had the above gun for 21 months bought it brand new from RFD,but due to ultra busy lifestyle only got round to zero last Saturday. Decided to put it over CB 625 chrono before zero with accupell and was only getting just below 10 ft lb. zeroed it in at 30 yards well happy with accuracy. Made a few calls today,RFD and BSA Guns gun still covered by 2 year warranty.Decided to rechrono earlier still shooting below 10.

What would you folks do?

Stick with it or return to BSA?

Am I being to fussy or should it be up to 11.5 as BSA said it was factory set to when it left them.?

when I put a gas ram in my lightning 177 it was shooting fantastic bang on 11.8 ft lbs until the gas ram leaked gas and oil ,quite soon less than 6 mounths of use may be less than 500 shots most definatly less than a 1000 . so I went back to a spring, the gas ram in your gun looking at add pictures here and there looks to be similar to the theoben ones . I would guess you have a problem, my lightning with a standard spring from new was shooting at 11.8ft lbs untill the spring snapped. 11.5 ftlbs is an easy thing to get out of a lightning . If your gas ram is leaking you may see some sort of oil or grease leaking into the inside of your piston ....test your gun with a light pellet to make sure

Edited by barrywhite

Some times when new and not shot much power can creep up after good 500 pellets but then again can go down

I'd put a few hundred shots through her and if still low simply strip it down and add bit of pre load good excuse to de grease de bur and re lube correctly too sounds daft but just a proper lube can up the power

That or take for a service and explain its low on power either way sounds a easy fix and if it's accurate stick with it some of the best / smoothest sprinters I've had I set around 10.5 just simply because they shot so much better a ft lb below legal limit and still enough power for hunting at the end of the day 6ft lbs in the right spot will still be a clean kill bud

Atb

Matt

• Like 1

when I put a gas ram in my lightning 177 it was shooting fantastic bang on 11.8 ft lbs until the gas ram leaked gas and oil ,quite soon less than 6 mounths of use may be less than 500 shots most definatly less than a 1000 . so I went back to a spring, the gas ram in your gun looking at add pictures here and there looks to be similar to the theoben ones . I would guess you have a problem, my lightning with a standard spring from new was shooting at 11.8ft lbs untill the spring snapped. 11.5 ftlbs is an easy thing to get out of a lightning . If your gas ram is leaking you may see some sort of oil or grease leaking into the inside of your piston ..g.png..test your gun with a light pellet to make sure

Good advice. Thanks

I've been in touch with BSA.Its been sorted according to them and back in post to RFD.They saying its doing 11.3 consistent now?will test it in RFD before I'll accept it back and will check it regular at home.

I know ram is sealed unit but guy in service\repair said they adjusted ram with special tool and turned power up?

But when I spoke to guy in Technical department and told him what service guy told me, he laughed and said that probably there was some excessive grease onboard and that the transfer port was replaced?

Just have to wait and see what service report says.