It's Official

Just look in there mouths a shearling/2 year old will have 2 front teeth and they grow 2 every year untill there 5 when they have a full mouth thats 8 teeth its an easy way to check there ages. Are you going to butch you weathers when there shearlings or as lambs in the spring?

• Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am now officially a farmer! Lol

Nice looking Lamas mate , , welcome to the farming club ..although I don't own livestock I do own a TRACTOR that I can drive up and down my field doing farming things ...have you learnt all the sayin

No sorry mate there only for wannabe farmers , you are know a REAL FARMER , times will be hard , money will be tight you won't know which way to turn to earn a shilling , you will need people to see y

Posted Images

I might do one one of the lambs for Christmas, just to try it, but I'll save the rest till next year ;) and I'll probably keep the ewe lambs and just get a different tup for them next year? What could I cross with them that keep the easy lambing but increase the carcass size a bit so I'm not waiting 2 years and risking inbreeding? Is inbreeding much of problem really with sheep? Father daughter kinda thing?

I wouldnt go down the inbreeding road you will end up with a lot of problems and the lambs will be most likelly hermafrodites because of it. I would stick to a hill breed for a tup the best imo would be a cheviot tup to cross them with you will get a decent carcass and and should be good to lamb so long as you dont feed them to much.

If you want to have a look around for a breed that you think would suit you get yourself to an event like north sheep were all of the breed societys have a stand each and you can have a good look at the diffrent breeding sheepand get some good info while your there most societys will have a few lambs there that are crossed so you can see what there like. Its the best way to see all the diffrent breeds in one place.

Just make sure your fences are secure. I've spent 5 hrs today wanking on with 200 Welsh mountain ewe lambs who decided the neighbours' grass looked tastier.

So pleased I bought that Rappa fencing barrow. Can only imagine the absolute f***ing trauma of fencing 600m by hand. Next on my shopping list, a sheep dog!

• Like 1