I know here, especially in parts of the South, small terriers, often very small are preferred.

If a dog gets of certain size, a lot will be branded as only for barn hunting or brushpiles.

I've heard it said" a tool for every job", meaning a working terrier of any size can always be an asset, and I believe that.

I know there are some far too big for earthwork.

But I also know there are some that (to me) can be too small especially if they're hard.

A couple yrs ago, we had a female, maybe 7 lbs, maybe.

She was too small, but acted great.We gave her to a friend .She ended up losing her front leg to a groundhog.

Last I knew, they planned to get her bred.

But her lack of size and abundance of grit proved my fear in losing that leg.

I figure if a dog is small enough that it comfortably fits in groundhog settes, than it may be too small for a brutal encounter should one arise.And often, a dog too big is shunned, regardless of his good points, at least by most.

I'm just wanting folks opinions"not to argue. Thank you

depends on the area you work. Some areas tend to be tight tubes others tend to be so wide it would be silly to put a small dog in them.

A small working terrier that fits well into groundhog settes is what we prefer here in the south. Since groundhog are a big part of our terrier work, we prefer the smaller terrier. For the most part, a small terrier will realize it is a small terrier and settle into a smart worker. I love digging the little terriers. You just need to use a little common sense when digging them. I tend to break through between dog and quarry, or slightly to the side. Breaking through on top of a chuck or coon will result in a lot of pressure on a 9lb terrier. I try not to destroy their confidence and dig a lot of game with the little dogs. As soon as I break through, I put the shovel between the quarry and the little warrior and then remove the terrier. At this point, I consider the task completed by my little warrior. I dig game with my slightly larger Jack and Patterdale as well. For Nutria, you need the larger terrier. Mudcat

• Like 3

I know here, especially in parts of the South, small terriers, often very small are preferred.

If a dog gets of certain size, a lot will be branded as only for barn hunting or brushpiles.

I've heard it said" a tool for every job", meaning a working terrier of any size can always be an asset, and I believe that.

I know there are some far too big for earthwork.

But I also know there are some that (to me) can be too small especially if they're hard.

A couple yrs ago, we had a female, maybe 7 lbs, maybe.

She was too small, but acted great.We gave her to a friend .She ended up losing her front leg to a groundhog.

Last I knew, they planned to get her bred.

But her lack of size and abundance of grit proved my fear in losing that leg.

I figure if a dog is small enough that it comfortably fits in groundhog settes, than it may be too small for a brutal encounter should one arise.And often, a dog too big is shunned, regardless of his good points, at least by most.

I'm just wanting folks opinions"not to argue. Thank you

I remember reading about 'Token' in EDRD. Those dogs seem unbelievably tiny to me, but I've never dug a ground hog so don't know what is required...