Harris Hawk For Beginners ?

Frank barton

I am not knocking a Harris as a first hawk, but if you buy a capable pre-owned Harris it will lul you into thinking hawking is easy, you would learn far far more from a redtail, get it right with a red and they are blinding, get it wrong and they will let you know in no uncertain terms, in my humble opinion, a red is an ideal first bird.

My job is flying birds of prey , we use Harris Hawks because they are the most forging , and best natured birds to work with , as a professional falconer , my advise would be to volunteer at your nearest falconry centre , learn from them and you won't regret it , training a bird is very easy , but if you get it wrong then the bird will never forget it and it will taint your perception of what it's like to fly a bird . Most of your training the bird is just building a trust bond with the bird , so a bit of time is needed at the start , so if you don't have a spare few hours on a Saturday to volunteer then you won't have a spare few hours to train the bird

• Like 2