sliced foot

hi folks i was wondering if any of you could tell me what i could do for my dog he sliced his pad a week ago and it keeps opening up its in a tricky place not getting the chance to heal, i havnt run him either,any advice would be much appreciated, cheers

Edited by beddiwhuppet

One of mine sliced a pad,and it just kept splitting again,even when rested for a couple of weeks.Amate put me onto this (BEPANTHEN) its for treating nappy rash,and also recommended by tattoists.It'll soften the pad and help it heal more slowly,which in turn will prevent the pad reopening.HTH's,Bill :thumbs:

clean the cut with tcp or dettol and superglue it .. :thumbs:

I was gonna say clean it and superglue it! If ya don't want to put superglue per say on the dog then you can use Vetbond. But it is the same damn stuff. I have superglued dogs, horses, hawks as well as myself without any adverse side effects....I have used it on the dogs here that we ran during Field Trials in the desert. Another thing that keeps pads happy is Bag Balm, like for the sore udders of cows... I figure if these tricks worked on Pointers then they'll work on sight Hounds.

Best of luck

cheers guys iv cleaned it with dettol,put tape round toe to hold it together,put a sock on his foot and put vet tape over that,to try and stop him putting his foot down??? snoop not sure about supper glue as the split is swollen on both sides and when you hold it together its not adjoining properly because of that,cheers anyway,looks like its gona be a good night for the beem to :( will just have to be patient, :censored: cheers guys

cheers guys iv cleaned it with dettol,put tape round toe to hold it together,put a sock on his foot and put vet tape over that,to try and stop him putting his foot down??? snoop not sure about supper glue as the split is swollen on both sides and when you hold it together its not adjoining properly because of that,cheers anyway,looks like its gona be a good night for the beem to :( will just have to be patient, :censored: cheers guys
it sounds like you have done the right thing mate :victory: .. ..its hard to give addvice when you havent seen the injury ..but superglue does do the trick ....good luck with it mate a couple off weeks and it should be somwhere near .. :victory:
it sounds like you have done the right thing mate :victory: .. ..its hard to give addvice when you havent seen the injury ..but superglue does do the trick ....good luck with it mate a couple off weeks and it should be somwhere near .. :victory:

bugger it i think il go for the super glue,i take it you dont put it in the cut,just on the edge on the skin?? cheers guys

bugger it i think il go for the super glue,i take it you dont put it in the cut,just on the edge on the skin?? cheers guys

dont rush into it wait for the swelling to go down mate ...if its like a swollen pussy wait a while ..what you have done already sounds ok ..give it a few days and see how it does .... :thumbs:

dont rush into it wait for the swelling to go down mate ...if its like a swollen pussy wait a while ..what you have done already sounds ok ..give it a few days and see how it does .... :thumbs:

ok i will cheers :thumbs:

If you are going to super glue you need to do it straight away after the cut has happened: once natural healing has started, as in the cut filling in from the inside, supergluing will cause all sorts of problems.

You are looking at at least 3 weeks for a cut pad to heal properly if it is a deep one. Keep the dog off it as much as possible for the first 2 weeks, leave it open as long as it stays clean: the dog will clean it. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. If you do take the dog for short lead walks make sure to bandage it and put a plastic bag over it so it doesn't get crap and wet in it. I use Padnasol ointment: for racing greyhounds: seems to promote healing and is really sticky stuff so doesn't come off too easily, and stops the edges of the wound from going all hard and painful.

If you are going to super glue you need to do it straight away after the cut has happened: once natural healing has started, as in the cut filling in from the inside, supergluing will cause all sorts of problems.

You are looking at at least 3 weeks for a cut pad to heal properly if it is a deep one. Keep the dog off it as much as possible for the first 2 weeks, leave it open as long as it stays clean: the dog will clean it. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. If you do take the dog for short lead walks make sure to bandage it and put a plastic bag over it so it doesn't get crap and wet in it. I use Padnasol ointment: for racing greyhounds: seems to promote healing and is really sticky stuff so doesn't come off too easily, and stops the edges of the wound from going all hard and painful.

ive superglued a cut pad a week after because it was showing no signs of healing together ...its hard to tell without seeing the cut ...but like i said if its still swollen like a pussy the leave it while the swelling goes down ...but what you say skycat is good advice :thumbs:

,iv just came in i took the previous bandage of,i cleaned and glued it,sealed quite nicely so fingers crossed,i put a sock on, a small plastic bag on, and vet rap on, il give it a couple of days and check it hopefully it wil join naturally through the night as its been moist since it happened,speakin of pussy eh :laugh: cheers guys much appreciated :thumbs::thumbs: fingers crossed

Don't leave a plastic bag on it all the time: only when you take the dog out, otherwise the foot will get damp and nasty and be very prone to infection: any bandaging needs to be breathable or it will get smelly and bad in no time.

Guest little lurcher

of salt water too , will harden the pad up too , my bitch split her stoppers and pads badly racing and worked for me now works day or night on any ground , good luck , all other advice on here has been great , glad tohear the superglue method still around!!