Who's Flying What

bullet

I agree with most of what david901 is saying I've never had a prob with pr flying them with people dogs about . My mate been manning a this years Gos it's his first bird and I've been giving him a hand with it . He's already used to all types of dogs flying to different people in different surrounding next week he'll be flying to the glove with the dogs by our sides . It's all down to the manning I'd rather put loads of time in than hear that screaming .

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll be flying the same Harris hawk as the previous seasons. I'd like to be able to get in another one but as much as I try I can't justify the need for more than one bird due to time, quarry numbers

you might be lucky ,I just got A spar last friday,look on facebook & birdtrader.

I will be flying my 7 year old male PR German gos, will pull him next month or so. I may also get my 6 year old female imprint gos out later in the season. She has a knackered foot from 2 seasons ag

I agree with most of what david901 is saying I've never had a prob with pr flying them with people dogs about . My mate been manning a this years Gos it's his first bird and I've been giving him a hand with it . He's already used to all types of dogs flying to different people in different surrounding next week he'll be flying to the glove with the dogs by our sides . It's all down to the manning I'd rather put loads of time in than hear that screaming .

Even better if you 'wake' them :-)

I'll be flying my pr female harris, (this years bird)

Got her a week a go on sunday past at 16 weeks, started manning the next day (Monday 17th)

She's been an absolute dream to work with so far, flying instant on the creance at 80m.

Was going to free fly her last night, but rain stopped play :cry:

hopefully get her out for her 1st free flight tomorrow night!

Fingers crossed she'll be out & ready to hunt by 2nd week Sept!!!

Hi Accip74I like your suggestion about waking.Unfortunately it requires a team of people to do it correctly and I don't have any mates that would be obliging enough to do a nightshift waking my bird as I slept ...LOL

Yes you are right mate, to really do it justice you do need a little team of reliable friends, but these are rarely forthcoming when the time comes......

I spoke to a mate yesterday who 'waked' his new female a few weeks ago......he did 62 hours!! With friends & family....including 2 bbq's........good results so far :-)

I decided to 'wake' my first male gos after I saw it being done at R.Lupton's......of course, like your self, my friends didn't oblige when the time came, so I attempted it myself & managed 32 hours & it worked! Apart from a little regression initially, he was very steady & we were killing 21 days after picking up :-) & never looked back.......he's still going strong & does 'experience days' now in the field back in England....

It's not a one time only trick that cures all, but imo it fast tracks & avoids a lot of stress you can encounter in the first 3 weeks.........& most importantly fast tracks to killing!

But hey....I'm no expert......but after doing or being involved in three 'wakes' now, I'd always go down that road first I think.

Atb

• Like 1

Hi bullet,

I personally prefer PR hawks.

They have their drawbacks, but to me they are easier to understand and get on with...no screaming/manteling, etc etc.

The thing with PR is you need to do a lot of manning at the beginning, though there are PR and then there are PR hawks.

What I mean is some breeders state they are selling PR birds, but they have been incubated and hand-fed for a week or two which means they are imprinted to a degree.

I prefer naturally bred and reared, then there are no surprising behaviours.

Hunting in company can be a problem with some hawks not tolerating strange dogs and crowds, whereas most imprints can be ok with them.

It all boils down to the skill of the austringer and the type of hunting you do.

For hunting pheasant at field meets I don't think you can beat a decent imprint.

For popping out on your own for a bit of mixed hawking, I would choose PR.

Im thinking of getting a PR female gos next year, thanks for your reply

regards to the screaming bit, I had it with my male in his first year only due to the fact I was working away from home so I had to take him with me(nights out in a truck!) after his first year he's been silent, my female came to me as an older bird, silent in the field, just breeding time which is natural chupping her head off at times, but just would love to try a PR for a change

Both Imprint and Parent reared have their advantages and disadvantages.

It all depends what you require.

If you get the bird at a decent age and do lots of positive manning,

a parent reared gos can become very steady but there is always a bit of fear factor with them.

I have never waked a bird, but from what the above posts have stated, the hawks are very tame at the end of the process.

The biggest issue I have with my imprinted female, is if she gets bored or frustrated, she will nail my Brittany.

Not very good for the dog and if he was a shy type of dog, it could have ruined him.

Parent reared hawks can also do this, but it is usually with less ferocity and less frequency IMHO.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

well I got the female back out, tail mount on, new anklets and jesses,a good cope, now she's having a few mixed days of washed and non washed rabbit to reduce her weight, not far to go now

atb bullet

p,s, good luck for this season folks

Today I pulled my Parent reared German Gos.

He is a little rocket and great fun to fly.

The good thing about such a small male is there is always stuff to chase.

He usually flies around 1lb 5oz up to 1lb 6oz.

Any higher and he tends to stay out overnight...LOL

I like the sound of him.....;-)

Today I pulled my Parent reared German Gos.

He is a little rocket and great fun to fly.

The good thing about such a small male is there is always stuff to chase.

He usually flies around 1lb 5oz up to 1lb 6oz.

Any higher and he tends to stay out overnight...LOL

I cant wait till the second part of my season when I get my male out, just need to fly the female first

Fascinating topic .. l'd love to be able to participated, but realistically l haven't the time available.

Slightly off topic but! ... are there any Harris hawks that has successfully bred in the wild in the UK? .. some that may have escaped or been lost and have bred and have succeeded in rearing young that are now at large and have never had any form of human contact? .. apologies if its a daft question, just curious to know .. atb

Edited by hoggysreels
  • Like 1