Roe Rings.....

wow, cant belive Ive lived in the hills all these years with loads of roe around these parts and that is the first ring ive ever seen.

They'll be there mate, trust me. It's part of the courtship. Its the doubles that are unusual.

The double I found yesterday when I said didn't have a tree in the centre and was just grass, actually did have a tiny ash sapling in the middle. I looked today as it was on my mind....I will take a piccy of them...

Im going to have to find some of these for myself. Ive seen circles in the long grass fields here at the edge of the woods, not rings tho but full circles, like mini crop circles. always thought this was where they laid up out of site keeping cool?.......Funnily enough the circles havnt been there this year, despite seeing more roe this year than ive seen for the past 4/5 years.

Not part of courtship here mate ,trust me .Never seen a doe keep to any route.I fully understand the courtship ritual having watched it hundreds of times .The doe in oestrus encourages the buck to chase and its his stamina that eventaully allows him to mate ,an act ive seen loads of times too .Roe rings are the exception to the rule in my experience but may be the norm around you .Like to see them on a trail cam though .

I've missed the rut here now so it's too late to put a cam up, but I will next year. There's lots of rings here, they're all over the place. Some trees are used every year. Will try and get more piccys this week. I've only ever seen the courtship once and that was at a roe ring, and I've spent my whole life out in the fields. I'm going to get my act together next year and try and film it, I don't know if it's ever been done before on film?

Funny how there's no roe rings down near you FD.......I wonder if there's a reason?

Edited by J Darcy

Theyve learnt not to hang about in any one spot for too long lol.Are you saying in all the years of being out there youve rarely seen any courtship mate .Weve recently videoed a chase ,mating scene where the buck actually herds the doe to where he wants her .Trying my hardest to get it off the cam cord but says http is corrupt .Be shame to lose it as its fascinating .

Theyve learnt not to hang about in any one spot for too long lol.Are you saying in all the years of being out there youve rarely seen any courtship mate .Weve recently videoed a chase ,mating scene where the buck actually herds the doe to where he wants her .Trying my hardest to get it off the cam cord but says http is corrupt .Be shame to lose it as its fascinating .

Yes, I've spent my life out in the wood and only ever seen a roe running a ring and what I can honestly class as 'true' courtship on that one occasion.Maybe I'm just unlucky. :blink:

This is a crap photo I know. I've just took it today. The rings were very obvious last week but since then rain has flattened the yellow grass so they are not obvious on the piccy...here is the treble, shown with black line.

post-16-0-51454600-1439215020_thumb.jpg

This is a double, but not as defined as others I have seen. maybe next year it might be deeper and more pronounced...the directions are on it...it is not a typical figure of 8, just a double with the two circles a little apart...

post-16-0-26871600-1439215135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one JD .Nope that dosnt happen here mate .The rut is still on here too .Stopped and watched a good buck mount a young doe in the middle of a corn field today at 10 am in the rain .Would you say the rings are a precurser to the buck running a doe about the fields or do they mate on or around the ring (dirty minds lol).

Ive seen more of the rut this year than any other i think due to an early start which i picked up on .Not had a buck charge in to the call but called several none the less.Still looking for that monster buck to get set up but still time though .Fallow and Sika rut next ,something to aspire to ,calling one of those lads .

Nice one JD .Nope that dosnt happen here mate .The rut is still on here too .Stopped and watched a good buck mount a young doe in the middle of a corn field today at 10 am in the rain .Would you say the rings are a precurser to the buck running a doe about the fields or do they mate on or around the ring (dirty minds lol).

Ive seen more of the rut this year than any other i think due to an early start which i picked up on .Not had a buck charge in to the call but called several none the less.Still looking for that monster buck to get set up but still time though .Fallow and Sika rut next ,something to aspire to ,calling one of those lads .

I don't really know enough to be sure, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say the doe is mated either on,or very close to, the ring. the ring is for a reason and I think it is to increase the does desire for the male, ergo, I think that once she stands the buck will cover her without delay. next year, if you remind me, I will get some trail cams up on the rings that are used every year. the rut here is definitely over IMO. I saw another two does today without attendant bucks.

I don't really know enough to be sure, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say the doe is mated either on,or very close to, the ring. the ring is for a reason and I think it is to increase the does desire for the male, ergo, I think that once she stands the buck will cover her without delay. next year, if you remind me, I will get some trail cams up on the rings that are used every year. the rut here is definitely over IMO. I saw another two does today without attendant bucks.
J darcy here is one I found earlier picture may not show it as good it was not well trodden so might only be newish, also tree was cut down during winter so maybe they used this often last season and have come back to it only being a stump

post-98830-0-87419700-1439409767_thumb.jpg