A Little Challenge For KillGerm

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

What do you guys reckon? The AF's a fine, basic design, IMHO. I like their simplicity and no fuss functionality. In fact, if pressed to think about it? I'd probably say their excellent Lock / Key and their whip off, pop back on lids are their strongest point over any other Box I've tried.

But that bloody chamber which houses the actual lock mechanism, internally? It's almost like a purpose built Slug Refuge! :wallbash:

I mean, ok, any pestie can tell ye that the best 'Slug Trap' ever invented by mankind is a well stocked up Rat Box. The b*stards seem drawn to them magnetically. And, the more expensive the bait and the more ye use? The more the damn slugs turn up to render it unpallatable. Certainly around where I operate, they're actually close to being an economic burden for me :(

And that's why I always find myself spending some quality time, at every box, 'Slug Sticking' with my trusty Opinel knife. I actually tend to walk about with my key in one hand and knife in the other. It's really That bad here.

And where do the biggest, baddest, blue / green guttedest Leopard Slugs tend to get? Yeppers. Right down there inside that infernal lock chamber. It doubles my inspection time then, slipping my blade down in there, sticking them, then ucking the damn things out. Smaller ones can be the very bugger to winkle out of that lot.

Must it always be so? Or could Pauls fiendish mind come up with something? :hmm:

Anyone ....?

Know what you mean Ditchy, for me down here though it is snails not slugs. Because of them i have stopped using blocks outsise as they take a real shine to them.

No matter what make of boxes i have tried they all get the same problem, to be honest now all i use for my contract work is sidekicks that i get from Barretine, they are cheap funtional and dont break my heart when someone chucks them or whatever.

Glad you like the boxes. I have forwarded your posting to Paul. I will let you know the outcome

Best wishes

Louise

i use the sidekicks myself and a good box they are for the money, but why don,t the box makes have a universal key to fit all boxes and put the lock on the side rather than on the top where leaves and debri gets into the workings

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Know what you mean Ditchy, for me down here though it is snails not slugs. Because of them i have stopped using blocks outsise as they take a real shine to them.

MT; I personally insist on using Anything But Loose Grain where anyone else can get at my Boxes, mate ..... Ever since the day I found some unknown complete imbecile had picked up my box and Shook all the bait out onto the ground, no doubt just to see what I had in there!!! :icon_eek: And that in a farm yard, heavily populated by Chaffinches and such! I mean, FFS!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Excellent point, PJ. In fact, I have the KG Bags. Probably one of the fastest people to go for them! However, I prefer to use them as Hole Bait and 'Scatter' bags. In some situations they can be that bit more secure than an open tray.

But, again, once the rats open them we have loose bait :( Less at a time, I know. But I just don't like my shit getting out of the box without it's Inside a rat.

In fact, I did do a trial run of bagging up my Blocks and then putting them onto the horizontal retaining bar? Just too much drama .....

Of course; I could also buy a bunch of those Earth Stake things? Heh! Ye ever come to Co. Leitrim and I'll give ye a lump hammer and bit of rebar. That'll keep ye occupied for hours ~ trying to locate a single spot in the ground here without a huge f*cking stone just beneath the surface! :wallbash:

I have all sorts of fun and games trying to get just about Anything into the ground round here! :(

Excellent point, PJ. In fact, I have the KG Bags. Probably one of the fastest people to go for them! However, I prefer to use them as Hole Bait and 'Scatter' bags. In some situations they can be that bit more secure than an open tray.

But, again, once the rats open them we have loose bait :( Less at a time, I know. But I just don't like my shit getting out of the box without it's Inside a rat.

In fact, I did do a trial run of bagging up my Blocks and then putting them onto the horizontal retaining bar? Just too much drama .....

Of course; I could also buy a bunch of those Earth Stake things? Heh! Ye ever come to Co. Leitrim and I'll give ye a lump hammer and bit of rebar. That'll keep ye occupied for hours ~ trying to locate a single spot in the ground here without a huge f*cking stone just beneath the surface! :wallbash:

I have all sorts of fun and games trying to get just about Anything into the ground round here! :(

Try cling film on yer blocks mate.

Grain is fine in bags; you can skewer the bag with the rod in the box, it is only going to spill if a rat has partially eaten a bag. You can get over the issue of people picking up yer boxes by anchoring them with some crimped wire, or even screwing them down to a concrete block (buried) - cost, about 50p.

The slug problem just aint going away....

If I need to secure my AF boxes down I use light patio slabs and price them and the fixing into the job,I had a problem on a site I visited once where all the bait had been bagged,the technician looking after the site had bagged all his bait inside the boxes ,fair play they were prestiene,howevere the bait take inside was heavy,dont know but seemed look like they had gone past at least thirty exterior boxes to the bait inside and the food debris.

The slug problem with bait is everywhere someone would be worth a bit if they could find something they dont like

hi on mates comp. as for inside mice boxes and slugs its allways in butchers shops we seem to get the slugs, as for grain bait and outside rat boxes we always bag the bait <dead~line> and tie a knot in bag <plastic >and trap the bag in the side. if you put grain in bait trays yes you get slug trails and yes you get peopel kicking bait out. as for a universal key for an inside box and an ouside box, yes would be good as i have five sets of keys and we now started on a new box. its not that one box is better than the other its all down to cost. p.s i remember when you just had bait trays. yours john

Guest Ditch_Shitter
p.s i remember when you just had bait trays.

:hmm: Then I don't suppose you have any reccollection of the earliest, galvanised steel, bait boxes do ye? Those, or what ever else came between the P3 / open trays / cardboard mouse boxes and the surge of plastic stations?

I've been trying to research this subject for a few years now, see? And the period of about 1965 - 1975 has just come up dead. Yet I know for a fact that Something(s) existed then. Because I personally handled one at the time.

Please stretch that memory of yours, mate. See what ye can come up with? :good:

Thanks.

Then I don't suppose you have any reccollection of the earliest, galvanised steel, bait boxes do ye. yes i have seen them the old hands at work < its a six man band> i will ask them as one lad in is late sixties heseems to have kept a lot of the old stuff. as for slugs and inside outside boxes. coper wire works well as slugs and snails hate touching bare copper wier. its a lot of mesing about but it works..... :boxing:

Then I don't suppose you have any reccollection of the earliest, galvanised steel, bait boxes do ye. yes i have seen them the old hands at work < its a six man band> i will ask them as one lad in is late sixties heseems to have kept a lot of the old stuff. as for slugs and inside outside boxes. coper wire works well as slugs and snails hate touching bare copper wier. its a lot of mesing about but it works..... :boxing: like i say i on mates comp yours john

Guest Ditch_Shitter

You could know just the man I need to talk to, John :good: And, I assure ye, 'talk' to him is all I require. I just need details and any photo's would be a fantastic bonus. I'm not out to pester a Pester :laugh:

If ye can operate ye PM or care to e mail me? Feel free.

Thanks!