I Won't Be Cleaning The 17Hmr Barrel Again

Just checking for your experience, I've got a 17 cz452 which has always shot accuratly and consistently. However I gave it three pull threws with a bore snake and the group was two inches low and larger for the first twelve shots, thankfully on a target board. Has anyone else experienced zero shift with the 17, it could have been conditions or me.

Its pretty normal to loose Zero after cleaning and you should always fire a few shots to check

I give mine a bit of a clean about every 75 shots or so nothing to deep just a pull through a couple of times with some Napier spray

Then maybe every 500 shots i might give it a deeper clean with a bore cleaning foam

Just checking for your experience, I've got a 17 cz452 which has always shot accuratly and consistently. However I gave it three pull threws with a bore snake and the group was two inches low and larger for the first twelve shots, thankfully on a target board. Has anyone else experienced zero shift with the 17, it could have been conditions or me.

How long or how many shots since you last cleaned it?

You can't clean a dirty HMR bore with three pull threws with a bore snake.

All you did was raise fouling and cause the issues you have.

• Like 1

I've rarely cleaned it, as it was always accurate.. I had a bore snake in the cupboard and gave it a few pull throughs. That might have caused what you suggested deker. The POI moved and made a larger group. It seems back on song now, I will just leave it well alone..

I'm know cleaning can move POI as I copper brush etc my 308 however it rarely moves the POI that much and returns to zero after a couple of rounds.

I've rarely cleaned it, as it was always accurate.. I had a bore snake in the cupboard and gave it a few pull throughs. That might have caused what you suggested deker. The POI moved and made a larger group. It seems back on song now, I will just leave it well alone..

I'm know cleaning can move POI as I copper brush etc my 308 however it rarely moves the POI that much and returns to zero after a couple of rounds.

There seem to be 2 very different schools of thought with the HMR, some say NEVER clean it, others will tell you to clean.

If you clean, which I advocate, CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY, don't do the job half heartedly.

Many people suggest they have cleaned the barrel, but simply make a gesture at it, then suggest it takes (in some cases) 50 shots to get it shooting straight.

A clean true barrel will shoot straight first, or at worst second shot, after a PROPER clean!

A pal of mine was complaining about his HMR/cleaning/problems a while back now, he wouldn't have it, saying he did clean it properly, eventually I had to show him, this is what it took to clean his barrel, with a scrub between each!

post-10759-0-88151100-1437114968_thumb.jpg

It worked just fine afterwards....don't forget the chamber and bolt as well, they clog up too!

I was bought up in the target/competition world and spent more time cleaning than shooting, I hate the job, but it works if you do it properly. It will reward you in many ways!

:thumbs:

PS

It isn't that much work if you keep on top of it, and be careful when cleaning that tiny bore!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...