Had my terrier to the vet today,hes a 12 yr old Border,over the last week or so the fur started falling out of his tail.Hes in no way scratching or irritated by it and the skin looks healthy,the vet was chatty as usual and then became quieter and quieter whilst examining the dog,the bottom line is he said its either hormones or more likely his adrenal gland,after checking his testicles for tumours and finding nothing abnormal he said sometimes tumours develop on the adrenal gland and he needed to do urine/blood samples.As the lab isn't open weekends the samples are to be took first thing Monday morning,Im sort of hoping for the best/preparing for the worst.....anybody had any experience of the above ,and if so what was the outcome Thanks, Dave :thumbs:

Had my terrier to the vet today,hes a 12 yr old Border,over the last week or so the fur started falling out of his tail.Hes in no way scratching or irritated by it and the skin looks healthy,the vet was chatty as usual and then became quieter and quieter whilst examining the dog,the bottom line is he said its either hormones or more likely his adrenal gland,after checking his testicles for tumours and finding nothing abnormal he said sometimes tumours develop on the adrenal gland and he needed to do urine/blood samples.As the lab isn't open weekends the samples are to be took first thing Monday morning,Im sort of hoping for the best/preparing for the worst.....anybody had any experience of the above ,and if so what was the outcome Thanks, Dave :thumbs:

Had a staffy 8 years old started to become weak and despite giving him his walks/exercise his belly got fat. Vet started taking the piss and recommended a diet. Wife got her mates son to take him to another vet and they diagnosed Cushings syndrome, adrenal cancer. Put him on chemo therapy but he got too ill. Started getting open sores at the base of the neck etc. Had to have him put down. No cure for it although sometimes they can extend life by a few months.

Hope it's not that, good luck with him.

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbs: , If it is cancer as much as it will upset everyone here,I think I will probably have him PTS :cray: I wont be going down the chemo route,watched a family freinds Cairn go through the best part of a year having it (to extend its life,no hope of curing it,)the dog suffered horrendously and though I felt sorry for the dogs owners (childless couple,dog was their baby :icon_redface: ) I allways thought they were selfish,allbeit well meaning,Id never put him through that.....Had dogs all my life and its always hard when they go,but his passing will be a gut wrencher,been through a lot of stuff in his lifetime,he barely looks like a Border,scared of the dark :laugh: But when he goes I will be gutted.... Mister Gain that was in no way a criticism of yourself for trying the chemo,had I not seen the friends dog go through it I may have tried it for one of mine if it was needed,thanks for your input :thumbs: Fingers crossed.....

Mister Gain that was in no way a criticism of yourself for trying the chemo,had I not seen the friends dog go through it I may have tried it for one of mine if it was needed,thanks for your input :thumbs: Fingers crossed.....

The chemo was suggested by the vet but it didn't take long to realise that it made him worse. He was only on the chemo less than 2 weeks, and yes, a hard decision but one that needed to be made. Hope yours is a better result.

• Like 1