A dozen mackerel, trolled about a bit with Sandeel imatations and feathers, fished fairly close to the pier, loads of gannets diving, got amongst them and had a few.. No bass though

Not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but did you try trolling along the bottom beneath the mackerel. Very often large Bass follow Mackerel shoals, especially if you have Tope in the area. A live joey drifted on the bottom often sorts them out.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

I did TC... had a dozen mackerel and put the feathers away, used a large lure and drifted through bumping bottom and twitching it along....nothing lol..

I didn't take any large hooks out else I would've tried a live joey... The mackerel were full of small eels, the whole estuary mouth is full of them and the bass are pre occupied on eels normally, if you fish the Exe estuary at the minute ( only a few miles down the coast) the bass are full of crabs, and you can't beat peeler, I really think with bass they fixate on what is there...

I did TC... had a dozen mackerel and put the feathers away, used a large lure and drifted through bumping bottom and twitching it along....nothing lol..

I didn't take any large hooks out else I would've tried a live joey... The mackerel were full of small eels, the whole estuary mouth is full of them and the bass are pre occupied on eels normally, if you fish the Exe estuary at the minute ( only a few miles down the coast) the bass are full of crabs, and you can't beat peeler, I really think with bass they fixate on what is there...

They will be fixated on peeler at the moment as the females are moulting, but that does not mean they they will turn their nose up at an easy meal. I remember one day the bass where shoaling on whitebait and because of the amount of boats that were there they were up and down all morning. One of my mates had some smelly frozen black lug and dropped a line over when the shoal had gone down. He had a fish a drop on the black lug.

TC

• Like 1

They will be fixated on peeler at the moment as the females are moulting, but that does not mean they they will turn their nose up at an easy meal. I remember one day the bass where shoaling on whitebait and because of the amount of boats that were there they were up and down all morning. One of my mates had some smelly frozen black lug and dropped a line over when the shoal had gone down. He had a fish a drop on the black lug.

TC

Suppose that's the thing with fishing TC, there's no rhyme and reason to it and that's what keeps us going back for more.... always a load to learn!!

I took a couple of lure boxes last night as you haven't loads of room on yak for gear so knowing it was a short session and I couldn't get eels I thought that would suffice, wished I'd took a couple of 6/0 hooks though when the shoal of mackerel were driving the eels through!! May have worked bouncing a joey along just off the bottom,

• Like 1

No matter how much people learn in their life time, something will always come along and make you look and feel stupid. I have been made to look and feel stupid so many times when they do not play by the rules. Never say never is my motto now.

By the way, when I was long lining with live Mackerel the best hooks we found were circle hooks and just nick the skin just behind the Mackerels head. I pulled one line once and two of the hooks were missing off the snoods, (usually down to Tope) further along the line I had a 5lb bass with the two missing hooks in it's mouth.

TC

• Like 1