Kennelling One Dog

Is it inherently wrong to kennel one dog alone?

I ask as I bought a new young dog (8 months) last week, who has always been kennelled in his previous home, within a converted stableyard setup, his stable housed him and two other youngsters, they were kept apart by partitions but could see/interact with eachother.

I have also bought a kennel/run consisting of the usual sleeping box and run combo.

My older dog has always lived in 24/7, but I would like my new dog to be able to come in the house, but go out to his kennel at night and when I'm out.

I don't want to move my older dog outside at night as she has always slept in my bedroom and to be honest I like her company. She is also a wuss and feels the cold, and whilst she doesn't dislike the youngster at all (they sleep on the same bed in the house/share a box in the car) she doesn't want to play with him and does seem to appreciate a bit of space from him when she can.

At present, I am putting both out in the kennel for a couple of hours in the day when I'm working, feeding both out there, and bringing them in in the evening to watch telly/cuddle on the sofa etc, then taking youngester back out to the kennel just before me and older dog go to bed.

Does this seem alright for youngster? He is totally quiet in the kennel at night (after a bit of howling and whining the first couple of nights), occasionally whines in the morning when it gets light if I'm not up before him (usually let him out at 7-7.30 having put him in at about 11) but he does box-walk and looking out to see him pacing up and down the run is really not a nice feeling, especially when he settles instantly and lays down to sleep in the house. He is clearly not pacing all night as when I come out in the morning he pops out of the sleeping box, but is any box-walking always a sign of serious unhappiness?

Is he just still a bit stressed from the move (probably)? Is box-walking always a bad thing? Am I terrible person for kenneling a social creature like a dog on their own? I just really have no idea if I'm doing the right thing. He is a lovely, friendly happy chap who doesn't seem at all worried when I get him out for exercise/training, it's just the pacing that makes me feel like I'm messing him up

Nothing wrong with it at all , if you've done all you can to make life as comfortable as possible in the kennel ,

Once the dog gets to get out with you whenever possible it will gladly sit on its ass all day , it's just the getting over your guilt and the initial stage before the dog Gets with the plan ,

A dog only needs stimulation or we feel it does before it twigs that being in the kennels means it get to go out hunting ,

Energy conservation is the biggest calculator in a dog , a dog won't feck about wasting energy once it knows hunting is the best use for its energy

There is a million dollar market based on the wrong way to raise a pup , hyper stimulate a pup in the house to the point of frenzy through noise , kids , movement , daily interaction , then , wonder why pup is like a Tasmanian devil in house biting and chewing , spent hundreds of hard earned cash buying items to keep same pup occupied or put pup in kennel nice and secure quiet and peaceful , get to let out a calm rested pup to interact with , I know which I prefare..

• Like 1

It will take around 3 weeks for the pup to adapt to new surroundings and routine, so don't get in a worry at this early stage. Once he understands the routine) in house when you are there and during the day, and in kennel at night) he'll be absolutely fine. I do the same with some of my dogs and they are perfectly happy. Routine is security to a dog: they need to learn the hours/routine to feel calm and relaxed. Agree with Casso on this one.

• Like 1