I may be asking an extremely broad question here, however...

I have secured my place in a beating team on a shoot about an hour away from where I am. My uncle, who did a lot of beating and shooting on driven estates back in the day told me that in order to maintain a good relationship with the gamekeeper, it's often wise and commonplace to ask if he needs a hand in any day-to-day duties during the off season. Taking his advice, I contacted the gamekeeper and asked if it was okay if I came down on Saturday to give him a hand around the place. He was happy to have me there, so on the weekend I am heading down there to meet him properly and help out with some work. Seeing as I am very new to this shooting scene, what can I expect on a day like that? Is it just jobs such as fixing fences, labour, and just generally helping him out?

• Like 1

I'll go for washing stuff. You'll be handed a power washer and told to go for it. A mountain of plastic drinkers and feeders will be needing a spring clean before heading out to the pens.

Could be repairing netting or fixing pop holes...could even be something like checking traps.

To be fair it could be anything. Just turn up on time, don't moan and atleast pretend you enjoyrd it....lol

Well worth it mate you will be amazed at the opportunities you will get and the knowledge you can gain. I help out the local keepers and have learnt so much from them, get to do a bit of vermin shooting and generally have a good laugh. As mentioned a lot of it will be getting drinkers/feeders cleaned repairing and setting up rearing pens ready for the birds. All the best and enjoy

• Like 1

Hello again,

So I went down on Saturday and had a great time meeting the shoot secretary and the gamekeeper. Both really great guys. I ended up helping the shoot secretary building a new bridge out of wooden decking and timber, while the gamekeeper went to fix a polypipe that squirrels had chewed through, which was spraying water everywhere when it should have been delivering water to the main release pen. In May, we're putting down cover crops (maize and one other, I can't remember the name), so they said they would definitely give me a shout for some help then. Was a bit rainy in the morning, I got down there at about 8:30, but it soon blew over and being out in the countryside in the sun is very rewarding! I learnt so much, and offered my services whenever they need me again. I didn't get offered any vermin shooting, but I'm not going to bother asking until I've beated with them for a season, at least. Oh, and the shoot secretary was kind enough to let me cut a beating stick :laugh:

Most importantly, the gamekeeper drove me around the estate and showed me all the drives and ponds, and showed me where the beating happens for each drive. Got to see a few male pheasants from last season around as well!

post-94566-0-70790700-1428932373_thumb.jpg

post-94566-0-69318800-1428932374_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You keep helping out and be useful and interested and you'll more than likely land some shooting. It's just about not being a nob and having half an idea of what the farm/shoot is about and so trusted. If nothing else, just being involved is rewarding in itself for someone that has an interest in it.

Those male pheasants are more commonly known as cock birds. The melanistic ones tend to be a bit bigger so it's perfectly acceptable to call them 'Big black cocks'. :thumbs:

:D

• Like 2