Cf Subsonic Rounds

Not tried myself, but loaned my chrono to a .308 shooting mate, who tried all manner

of USA inspired tricks (like drilling the flash hole out to get better powder ignition, to

loading bullets point first). Anyway he found it very inconsistent and even the good

ones dropped like a stone after 50 yards. Also 'they' say that very small powder charges

in big empty cases can strangely cause high pressures?

Sounds like a lost cause to me, best suited to large calibre handgun cartridges e.g. 45acp

maybe try a pistol calibre rifle, I've seen a factory bolt action Ruger in 9mm?

I've used a .308 which belongs to a friend with subsonic loads,

I believe it was Trail boss powder to fill up the case capacity,

Too little powder that doesn't fill the case can cause the primer to "overshoot" the powder with either a hang fire or unburnt powder remaining in the bottom of the case and as Andy says, it causes a very sharp pressure curve because the air in the case is being compressed.

If you're loading subsonic loads in any of the .22 centrefires, you're effectively producing the power of a .22LR but the energy will be retained for longer over distance because the centrefire bullets have better ballistic co-efficients.

Something like a .308 is more useful I suppose because the larger round and B.C. will produce something along the lines of a hot load in a .22 Magnum Rimfire. Even a large round like the .308 wouldn't be a great tool for small live shooting past 150 yards as the bullet drops away very sharply.

Good for plinking though I suppose and cheaper to load with a powder like Trail Boss.

I thought that you were getting rid of that Hornet Cedric? :hmm: We haven't changed your mind have we?? :victory:

Nah! Not changed my mind. :thumbs: I sold the remnants of the Red Dot powder I used for light loads, never got round to getting any Trailboss, could only get it down to 1,300 fps.

When the 'experts' went down this road in WW2 they came up with the De-Lisle carbine

a .303 Lee Enfield chassis but with Sub-sonic 45acp barrel + an integral silencer, apparently this

was very useful and the Commando & Special Forces & SOE used it to great effect.

Alleged to be good out to 150 yards and almost silent?

Anyway I think I have seen Repro clones on the net, but good luck with the FAC variation?

AF