Bsa Air Sporter Or Weihrauch

Hello I am new to the forum and looking forward to getting to grips with the site.

I am using a hw 97 from a friend and find it a bit heavy.

I was thinking of looking for an air sporter with open site to get used to shooting, what do you think ?.

Hi Mr vwman,
Personal opinion here....
The BSA AIRSPORTER is a gun that many people used in their early years - either that or a Meteor or a Webley! As such they have fond memories of using that gun and yearn to relive those earlier years and own another. BUT, things have changed, times have moved on. As I said - just my opinion - there can be no comparison between the guns of yesteryear and those of today. In every aspect today's are simply better. If the HW97 is a bit heavy, then consider the HW57 for instance. A nice lightweight underlever (it's got a poor reputation in some circles, but totally unjustified). I have personal knowledge of three Airsporters that that their owners have lavished time & money on just to end up with a gun that can't compete (accuracy wise) with more modern guns.
All of the above is personal opinion, I'm sure my opinion is not shared by everyone....
Just trying to be honest.

Edited by bhodge

My airsporter 'S' model was poor. The walnut stock was very plain with horrible pressed in chequering, the accuracy was poor and power was 11 ft lbs with eley wasps but any other pellets I tried it was down to around 9ft lbs.

Hello Rimfireboy

I wondered about break barrel but was put off by some of the guys around the farm who only like underlever guns.

I will have a try at the gun shop, would you go 177 and may be add a 22 later on ?

Hello Rimfireboy

I wondered about break barrel but was put off by some of the guys around the farm who only like underlever guns.

I will have a try at the gun shop, would you go 177 and may be add a 22 later on ?

--------------------------

get both asap.

I'd go with the HW, yes they are heavy but incredibly accurate and very well built. Of course there are many other options including the Air Arms range, the TX200 is a great equal for the HW97. But if you have a few extra quid, try a PCP, the worlds your oyster.