black widows do work , but i think they are designed to be user friendly to the newcomer and hold the bands high up safley away from the shooters hand.

as a result there is quite a lot of leverage on the wrist so the wristbrace helps with this.

i have let newcommers have a shot of my slingshots that have low set bands and they have hit the back of their hand.

once you get used to these catties most people find them more accurate and powerfull compared to the black widow.

the good thing about blackwidows is that they get folks started as they are readily available in the shops and are not too expensive.

however i would recommend that you get one of the more pocketable ones recommended by the lads above .

If anyone wants a widow they can have it for the postage. Rubbers long gone so need to redo. Bought it in Florida so don't know the diameters. Anyhow, yours for the asking. Jok.

A good point about the height of the forks resulting in the need for the wrist brace. I've a small range of sling-shots (one by Hunter catapults, one self made natural fork, the BW and one being custom built). Fortunately I've managed to avoid hitting my hand!